Chapter 27

Nothing seemed to have changed after their visit to Maxwell and Zeppelin. Kyree was still the same. Maybe even a little worse. Maxwell had told Ambrose to give him a little time by himself to come to terms with his loss, Ambrose opted to give him a week.

5 days into that week, something changed in Kyree. Like a switch flipped in his mind. The haze of grief and self-pity seemed to lift, taking with it the fatigue and heartache. He felt alive again, he just felt everything again. He decided to go on a run, having been cooped up inside for God knows how long.

Endwin joined him, despite his injuries from the assassin. Kyree did wonder what Endwin had inflicted upon his attacker, much worse than what he had gotten. Kyree kept his pace slow, so Endwin could keep up with him, but soon his dog was outrunning him by quite a while.

As he tried to catch up, he allowed a small smile to curve up the corners of his mouth. He enjoyed the feeling of wind rushing around him, the sound of his feet hitting the floor, his breath coming out in short, sharp bursts. He made a promise to himself as he stopped to catch his breath that he was going to get Saige and Ambrose to come on a run with him next time.

Kyree chuckled to himself when he noticed how long he had been out, deciding an hour was probably long enough to have run off the residual depression. His stomach agreed, making an awfully loud noise. He had barely eaten for almost 3 weeks, maybe he could badger Ambrose into cooking something for him. The thought of Ambrose awoke a different type of hunger within him, God he missed him.

It took him a further half an hour to find his way back to the royal palace through the thick forest that surrounded it. He could have just appeared back in their bedroom but he truly enjoyed being outside.

Endwin seemed altogether exhausted as they entered the palace, almost collapsing by the door. Kyree smiled softly at his pet, filling a bowl with water and stooping down to ruffle the fur on his head.

"Never got a chance to thank you, End, you saved my life," he murmured happily. Endwin, whether he understood what Kyree was saying or not, simply made a content little whine, lapping up some of the water before laying back and drifting to sleep.

Ambrose hadn't been in their bedroom, he never really had been since Kyree had gotten seriously bad. So Kyree assumed he was probably in his office, and his assumption was correct. Kyree simply stood and stared at Ambrose through the half-open door, knowing Ambrose had yet to notice him.

Ambrose was wearing a suit, as usual, that man never did understand the concept of casual clothing. But the blazer was hung around the back of his chair, and the sleeves of pristine white shirt were rolled up to his elbows. The brand was on display, Kyree wondered if Abigor got restless when he wasn't called upon for so long. Maybe they would let him out for a run later.

Despite the deep purple bags under his eyes, Ambrose looked the same gorgeous man Kyree always saw. His brows were knotted together into a soft frown as he kept his gaze on his laptop, only adding to his bewitching appearance. When the time came that Kyree was no longer content with simply observing Ambrose, he strolled into the room, closing the door behind him.

Ambrose glanced up, looking a little sheepish. Kyree was shirtless, wearing only a pair of tight black sweatpants that hugged every inch of him, leaving not much to the imagination as they hung low on his hips. Ambrose's lips twitched, and Kyree wished he would allow that wicked little smirk to consume him, but his mouth remained set in a hard line.

"How are you feeling?" Ambrose asked gently, his voice soft as he spoke. Kyree wasn't surprised at this, though he missed Ambrose's confidence, he knew this would be the case for a short while until Ambrose truly realised Kyree was better.