Chapter 31

Kyree remained silent as he carried the woman to his and Ambrose's shared bedroom, his fiance following at his heel talking with Farell. Ambrose had confirmed that what the woman had said was true, Kyree was her father, his initials were clear across her chest.

"I didn't turn her," Kyree clarified as he stared down at the slumbering woman, he could feel Ambrose's stare burning into the back of his neck, "I wouldn't, not without talking to you. Not after what happened last time," Kyree leant back into Ambrose when his fiance's hands began kneading the flesh of his shoulders gently.

"I know, baby, I know. But someone did, and with your blood too."
"The assassin?"

"Could be. He could have collected your blood from the coronation party, when you broke the wine glass. It only takes a drop to turn a human if they are strong enough," Kyree sighed, his brows knotting into a deep frown.

"Why would someone want to make me another daughter? What do they have to gain from that?"

"I'm not sure, baby. I'm going to take Farell up to the human world and see if we can find anything about the girl," Ambrose held up a small laminated ID card, "her name is Avis, she was born in Los Angeles. We should be able to find something out about her, if only a family to notify of her death," Kyree made a small, frustrated noise, hanging his head in his hands.

"This isn't how you are supposed to turn someone. They are supposed to want it, not have this forced on them. Who would do this? It's sick, it's sadistic," Ambrose knelt in front of his fiance, trailing his fingers up and down Kyree's tense arms.

"Hey, this isn't your fault, Ky," Kyree chuckled bitterly.

"Of course it's my fault, someone is doing this to fuck with me. Some girl just lost her life because someone wants to make me feel worse," Ambrose tilted Kyree's head up with his forefinger and thumb, forcing his fiance to make eye contact with him.

"Stop it. Stop blaming yourself. You didn't turn her. She may have been turned with your blood but she's lucky in that sense. She has a wonderful father now, and she will live in luxury here with us if she so pleases. If not, she may leave any time, either way, you are not at fault. OK?" Kyree contemplated Ambrose's comment for a moment before pressing a chaste kiss to his fiance's lips.

"I love you, be careful," Kyree said, in a much brighter mood.

"I love you too, baby," Ambrose uttered his farewell as he exited the room, leaving Kyree alone to await his new daughter's awakening.

Just over an hour passed before Kyree noticed movement in the girl. Her eyes fluttered open and Kyree immediately noted the crippling fear in her blue iris'. Kyree instantly leant forward, resting his hand over the girl's wrist, feeling the calm aura flow through him and into her.

He wasn't sure what that new found power was, or where it had come from, but it sure as hell came in handy. He had been working on controlling it since it had appeared when consoling Saige and was grasping slowly how to call upon it.

"Hey, you're safe, Avis, you're OK," Kyree ensured his tone was soft, soothing, as he spoke to the girl. She looked young, late teens if he had to guess. Her hair was a beautiful light shade of brown, hanging in straight locks that framed her gaunt face. Her skin was much more tanned than that of Saige's, yet still was a pale shade, matching her sharp and well-defined features.

"H-How do you know my name? A-Are you Kyree?" her voice was trembling and broken, much alike her body in a sense.

"Yes, Avis, I am Kyree. You happened to have an ID card on you that my fiance took, that's how I know your name. Do you know what happened to you?" Kyree attempted to increase the degree of calm he was projecting onto her but was unsure if it even made a difference.