4.0

"Maybe if I lay upside down long enough all the blood will rush to my head and I'll die." Michael said, letting out a sigh.

It was Saturday afternoon and Michael had come over in the morning, after I texted him and told him that I had nothing to do all day and I was bored and lonely. We were currently laying upside down at the edge of my bed, our heads touching the floor as we both discussed how much life in general just sucked.

"I don't think you'll die," I chuckled, "I'm pretty sure you'll just pass out for a little while and then wake up."

"Damn." Michael sighed again.

"Are you hungry?" I asked, getting a little anxious. I couldn't even remember how long we had just been sitting like that, and it seemed like the two of us had gone hours just staring at the wall across the room.

"Nope."

"Are you thirsty?" I asked. Michael just laughed loudly and pulled his phone out, his fingers tapping away at the screen while he continued to hang upside down.

"I'm tired." He finally answered.

"So am I." I agreed, because it was true. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, because even though a few days had passed since my whole encounter with Ashton I chose last night to really think it over. And my thoughts kept me awake until the early morning, so by the time I finally drifted off it was practically time for me to wake up again.

"Seriously, I haven't slept in almost two weeks." Michael said, still laughing lightly as he let his phone fall to the floor in front of his face, like he was going to stare at it as he waited for a reply to whatever text he just sent.

"Why?" I questioned.

"Nightmares." Michael answered softly, "I have a lot of nightmares, and reoccurring dreams."

"Oh." I nodded the best I could while laying upside down. I wanted to ask more about Michael's nightmares, but I didn't want to push him, so I stayed silent.

"They're mostly flashbacks. Really vivid flashbacks. I have meds for it, but sometimes I don't take them, just because." He shrugged.

"I'm sure that if you took the meds you'd get a better sleep at night," I said, just as a suggestion. I wasn't going to force Michael in to taking the medication when he didn't want to, because it wasn't my place to force him to do something like that, but I did know that he would feel a lot better if he just listened to his doctors and took the medicine that they prescribed him.

"Sometimes they're good flashbacks, and I don't want to miss them." Michael sad, glancing at his phone once more and then picking it up again.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Like... Sometimes they're memories from a few years ago. When I lived with Ashton and my sister and his dad didn't hate me so much and everything wasn't as bad as it is now." Michael explained.

"Oh." I nodded, playing around with the ends of my hair.

"Now Ashton probably hates me too, I don't know." Michael sighed, "He doesn't even want to try and talk to me anymore."

"I guess that's kind of my fault." I chuckled nervously, hoping that my comment wouldn't start yet another argument between us. I had just gotten Michael back, I couldn't afford to lose him again over something stupid like this.

"It's both of your faults - It's all of our faults." Michael corrected himself. He set down his phone again, glancing at it every few seconds, the expression on his face showing that he was both worried and a little anxious as well.