Ch. 2 - Please Stay

Lori

“Shane go,” I said as I started pushing him away from the girl. “What,” he asked stunned, “why?” “Because I wanna talk to her alone,” I said, “and she won’t talk if you’re around. Now go.” “Fine,” he said as he stood up and walked away. When I was sure he was gone far enough away, I turned back around to look at the girl in front of me. “Sorry ‘bout him,” I said smiling down at the girl as she looked away from me, “my name’s Lori Grimes. Could you tell me what yours is?” “Anna,” she whispered, “Anna Murphy. Will you please let me go? I don’t do well with other people. Kinda a trait I developed after this apocalypse started.” “Afraid I can’t,” I said sadly to her, “Shane’s right. It wouldn’t be right to let you wander around like this. Please reconsider on leaving.”

“I can’t,” she said looking away after having finally looked at me moments ago, “I’d rather be alone than with a group. I didn’t really have many friends before the apocalypse, just two and now I don’t even know if they’re still alive.” “Don’t lose faith,” I said placing my hand on her shoulder as she looked up at me with tears in her eyes but not spilling over, “tell ya what. Give it a day being here with us. Just one day. And if you still wanna leave by then, then you’re free to go on your own.” She looked away again, like she was processing what I had said before she finally looked back up at me. “One day,” she said as I smiled at her and untied her hands from around the back of the tree. “Come with me and I’ll introduce you to the rest of the group,” I said as we both stood up, she brushing off the back of her jeans, “I think two of our own just left to go hunting so you can meet them later.”

I placed my hand on the upper part of her back, slightly pushing her towards the growing crowd of our group that had apparently gathered around while I was talking with her. After a short round of introductions, Anna went up on top of the RV to sit with Dale and talk about whatever was on his mind. “What’d you say to her,” Shane asked walking up to me and standing beside me as we both looked up at her up there. “Just asked her nicely if she’d stick around,” I said glancing over at him, “she agreed to one day and if she’s not happy with being with us then she’s free to leave.” “You can’t offer her that,” Shane said getting furious as heads began to turn toward us, “a girl as young as her shouldn’t be out there all on her own.”

“Oh quit ya bitchin’ Shane,” Merle said as he and Daryl finally arrived back into camp, “if the girl wants to leave let her leave. Ya can’t force someone to stay here.” “Mind your own damn business Dixon,” Shane said over to Merle, but not as loud as before. Everyone’s heads had already turned back to what they were doing by then. “Shane, Merle’s right,” I said as he looked back at me, “if you try and force her she’ll just try to leave faster. Give her the space she needs and if she chooses to leave then let her. It’s her own decision and not yours so you can’t hold yourself responsible if she ends up dead after leaving us.” “Listen to her Shane,” Daryl said as he walked by us placing squirrels down by the fire pit. I watched as Shane glared at Daryl but turned and stalked off without another word.