Ch. 41 - Road Block

Daryl

“Lori could you guys take my bag and haul it in the vehicle with y’all,” Anna asked as we were getting gas from the few cars we weren’t taking with us as we were leaving the old nursing home, the very one where Anna and Glenn had been kidnapped to when we looked for Merle. “Yeah sure sweetie,” Lori said as Anna handed her the bag, “you riding with Daryl?” I looked over at the two from my brother’s bike and watched as she smiled the nodded as she looked back. “Yeah,” she said, “I’d feel much more comfortable being close to him.” Lori looked back at me as Anna walked over then climbed into the truck with Carol, Sophia, Carl, and Rick. Glenn, Dale, Shane, T-Dog, and Andrea were going to be riding in the RV and of course Anna was with me.

“Ya ready,” I asked Anna as she got to me. “Yeah,” she said nodding as she climbed on behind me and wrapped her arms tight around my waist, “let’s go.” I nodded and pulled off with Anna and I in the lead, then the RV right behind us and Rick and them behind it. But something’s been bothering me about Anna. She hasn’t been acting right since Jenner stole her away that night we were at the CDC. Wish she’d tell me what’s bothering her so badly. Couldn’t ask her about it right now though, I’d wait till the two of us had a moment alone, away from everyone. Whatever it was, I could tell it was scaring the hell out of her and that worried the hell out of me.

As we drove, I felt her arms wrap tighter around me as she laid her head against my back. I moved one of my hands and lightly tapped it on hers that were interlocked around my waist before placing it back on the handle bar. I looked back and over at her to see she had lifted her head up and was smiling at me. A second later she leaned up a bit and placed a light kiss on my cheek before nestling her head back against my back and I looked ahead of us again. I don’t know exactly how long we were on the highway before I spotted a road block up ahead. I tapped Anna’s hands again and motioned for her to look ahead at all the vehicles there. “We’ll ride through,” I shouted back to her, “see if we can find a way through for the others.”

I felt her nod against my back and her grip tighten around me.  I pulled on ahead as I heard the others coming to a stop back at the last vehicle. I drove on, looking for a wide enough path for the RV and truck to get through, and thankfully there was. I turned around and headed back through the twisting path, back to the others and pulled up beside Dale’s RV where he leaned out the window. “See a way through,” Dale asked when I came to a stop. I looked back at the same time Anna did then back to Dale and nodded the motioned for him to follow behind us. Again I turned Anna and I around and drove slowly through the twists and turns, guiding the others through the wreckage. We didn’t get far before I felt Anna tapping me on my back.

I looked behind us to see smoke or steam coming out of the RV, again. “Christ,” I said as I turned around and drove back to the others, turning the bike off this time as we all came to a stop and everyone got out. “Problem Dale,” I heard Shane ask as we walked over to the group as they surrounded the RV. “Just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of,” Dale said but stopped when I walked over to the back of a vehicle and started digging, Anna right beside me, “okay that was dumb.” I heard Anna giggle as she looked back over at Dale while I continued to rummage. “If you can’t find a radiator hose here,” Shane said.

“There’s a whole bunch of stuff we can find,” I said still digging as Anna joined back in. “I can siphon more fuel from these cars for a start,” T-Dog said walking into the jungle of wrecked and abandoned cars. “Maybe some water,” Carol said. “Or food,” Glenn said as Anna and I walked to another car to dig some more. “This is a graveyard,” I heard Lori say and noticed Anna go stiff a little from the comment. “Hey, hey, hey,” I whispered grabbing her hands as she looked to me, “it’s okay. We’ll be okay. Ya know that Anna.” She looked me in the eyes for a couple seconds then slowly nodded her head. “C’mon,” I said pulling her away, “let’s go find some more stuff we can salvage for us all.” She nodded again and I released one of her hands, keeping the other in mine as I led her further into the group of cars.

OMG I'm so happy right now! I literally got season two the same day I said I'd have to stop writing until I could get it! :) I was going through a type of withdrawal not being able to write but now I can again woohoo! another thing thanks for almost 2k reads...I love you ALL!!