Ch. 15 - Atlanta

Anna
As we had climbed out of the van, I pulled my hair back into a messy pony-tail so I could keep it out of my face while I kept up with all the men. When we got closer into the city, Glenn opened up a fence for us to go through. Rick went first, then Daryl, then me, T-Dog, and finally Glenn followed behind. “Merle first or the guns,” Rick asked as both Daryl and I turned to look at him like he was crazy. “Merle,” Daryl said as we walked by Rick, “we ain’t even having this conversation!” “We are,” Rick said as I turned around to glare and him, fighting ever urge to go over there and knock the shit outta him, “you know the geography so it’s your call.” Daryl and I had stopped and when everyone walked by us as Rick was talking the Glenn, Daryl place his hand at the small of my back and pushed me forward to keep walking with them. “Merle’s closest,” Glenn said as we ran around him, me keeping up completely with Daryl, “the guns would mean doubling back. Merle first.”
I smiled knowingly back at Rick as we trotted on as we made our way to the building where Rick had cuffed Merle to the roof. I had Andrea’s gun tucked away in my pants and could feel the metal of the gun rubbing against my skin as we moved forward, keeping an eye out for any walkers that could be in the area. Glenn took the lead, guiding the way towards the department store as everyone fell into step behind him, all of us keeping our eyes peeled. We didn’t have any trouble with walkers as we finally approached the store, but when we entered, there was one walking around inside and Rick motioned for Daryl to step forward with his crossbow and put it down. Daryl and I slowly crept forward towards the walker and as it turned to look at us, he lifted his bow. “Damn,” he whispered, “you are one ugly skank.” I watched as he sent the arrow straight into the middle of the walker’s head. “Nice shot,” I whispered to him as he smiled back at me and walked over, retrieving the arrow and wiping it on his pants leg.
I watched as Rick, Glenn, and T-Dog ran forward towards the stairs leading to the roof and once again, just like when we first arrived into Atlanta, Daryl placed his hand on the small of my back and pushed me forward to follow behind them. He kept his hand there as we ran up the stairs, making sure I didn’t fall in the hurry we were in. Rick reached the roof door first with T-Dog right beside him, the chain and padlock was still intact. Me and Daryl stood by the door as Rick nodded to T-Dog who walked forward and used the bolt cutters, cutting through the chain, unlocking the door for us. “There,” he said as Daryl pushed past him, kicking the door open and running out onto the roof with me right beside him.
“Merle,” Daryl shouted as he ran out onto the roof with me on his heels and everyone else behind us, “Merle!” We ran across this platform, looking for Merle but not finding him anywhere. Daryl ran forward a couple steps while I slowed back, the sight before me making my stomach sick. “No,” Daryl shouted as he walked back and forth, “no!” He glared back at the others as I stood horrified by the sight. “Oh God,” I whispered as I placed my hands to my mouth. “No,” Daryl shouted again as I could hear him about to cry and I already felt a tear slip down my cheek. I ran over to Daryl and as he wrapped his free arm around my shoulders, I buried my head into his chest trying to keep from looking. There on the roof in front of us, was a bloodied saw and handcuffs, and Merle’s severed hand, but no Merle.