Ch. 65 - Lost The Farm

Daryl

Damn it Dale just couldn’t stay put last night after walking out of Hershel’s house. Hell seemed like no one but only a few could do the smart thing. Anna insisted on being there when Rick executed the kid in the barn.  Of course I argued with her about goin’ but the girl’s stubborn. So I finally gave in and let her come along, but then Rick had to pussy out and not have the guts to kill the kid when his own son popped in. Rick told Anna and me to take him away, put him back in the shed where we’ve been keeping him since Rick came back with him. It’s then that I heard screaming coming from outside the barn, away from the house by the sound of it. I glanced at Anna, she heard it too and was probably thinking the same as me, Dale.

Anna and I got to him first, poor man wasn’t gonna make it. Told Anna to go back to the house as the group gathered around, course she didn’t though. Rick was gonna shoot him in the head to end his suffering, but I took the gun from him, no need to do everything himself. Anna had placed her hand on my shoulder just before I pulled the trigger. Hurt like hell to kill the old man, kinda grew on me a bit to be honest. But I think it hurt Anna more, she and Dale had gotten very close since she joined our group. I think he was more of a father figure to her than her own damn dad had been. Actually, no, I know he was more of a father than hers was. Still hurt though, to end his life like that when we all know the reason why he was out in that field like that was to get away from having to hear Rick kill Randall.

Then everything was tense this morning when we had Dale’s funeral next to all the other’s we’d lost and buried here. Rick was saying a few words about Dale and about how he had said the group was broken, that we were to prove him wrong. I had my arm draped around Anna’s shoulders for comfort but I don’t know I was doin’ any good for her. She spent the rest of the day up in the house while the rest of us talked about what to do with the kid. When Rick and I were getting ready to head out and T-Dog went to get him, I noticed Shane wasn’t around. Then when T-Dog came running back, I knew why, the kid was missing and so was Shane.

I made Anna stay at the house when Rick, Shane, who had just reappeared when we found the kid missing, Glenn, and myself went out to look for him. But something wasn’t sitting right with me, the way Shane just happened to pop back up when the kid was missing and how he just happened to track him into the woods where he got away. Didn’t like Rick going alone with Shane but I didn’t say nothing. Found the kid, died from his neck being snapped, but he came back as a walker with no signs of a bite or scratch on him. Glenn and I headed back, see if they made it back already seeings as we found Randall, there was no need for us to be out here anymore.

Walking in through the door, Anna immediately jumped up and ran over to me wrapping her arms around me in a hug as I looked around. Rick and Shane weren’t back yet but we heard a gunshot. Lori wanted me to go back out and look for them and find out what was going on. Anna looked up at me and nodded so I told Lori I would. Now that there wasn’t a threat with Randall, I didn’t mind leaving far from Anna. Glenn and Andrea were coming with me but we didn’t get far, there was a large herd heading straight for the farm house. We weren’t safe here anymore. When Lori comes out saying she can’t find Carl, Carol and Anna both go back inside with her to help look. Where the hell did that kid go?

All hell was breaking lose, everyone was starting to panic. I lost track of Anna so I know I was one of them, I just hoped she was safe with one of the others. All hope was lost with saving the farm, there was just too many walkers and we didn’t have enough ammo to take them all on. I watched as the vehicles left but I stayed back, near the land and watched as the farm was overrun with walkers. I could only hope and pray that Anna made it out with one of the others. As I sat there, I heard screaming, a woman’s scream but I couldn’t tell who’s it was. I started my bike and headed towards the scream as fast as I could to see that it was Carol screaming, surrounded by walkers. She quickly climbed on behind me and we got the hell out of there, looking for the others.

Headed back to the highway were we lost Sophia, found two other vehicles that were ours on the way and met up with Rick there. As everyone was asking about certain people, Andrea, Patricia, Jimmy, I was looking at all the faces in the group. I looked to everyone but I didn’t see the one face I was looking for, Anna. “Where’s Anna,” I asked as everyone went silent and looked to me. I glanced to Lori, Beth, and T-Dog who had all been in the blue truck. “Sorry man,” he said shaking his head, “lost sight of her. Walkers right behind her.” “No,” I said shaking my head and fighting back the tears, “no!” “Sorry man, she’s,” he said looking down, “she’s gone.”