Ch. 54 - Alone Time

Anna
It was late, we were all sleeping in the RV. Well, Andrea was messing with what sounded like taking a gun apart, and Carol was crying back in the bedroom portion of the RV. Daryl was laying back on the floor, his hands behind his head like a pillow. Me, I was laying right there beside him, on his left side using his arm as a pillow and curled up to him. I felt him shift a little, sitting up slightly to look down the little hallway towards where Carol was crying. I heard him sigh as he flattened back out, moving the arm I had my head on so that he wrapped around me. I felt him move again, and when I looked over at him, he was looking back at where Andrea sat, still messing with that damn gun. I groaned and sat up, looked to where Carol was then looked back at Andrea, too much damn noise.
I looked back to Daryl as I felt him shift beside me and groan as he too sat up. I watched as he looked from me then to Carol behind me and sighed. I looked at him confused when I watched him twist around and jump up to his feet. “Daryl,” I whispered softly as he walked over to where Andrea sat. I watched as he picked up his crossbow and slid it across his back then looked to Andrea. “I need my clip now,” he said as she looked up and handed it over, “I’m gonna walk the road, look for the girl.” I stood up and grabbed my gun from on the counter and tucked it into the back waistband of my jeans, following him out the RV’s door. He didn’t say anything when he glanced back and noticed me coming along. Wouldn’t be able to talk me out of following him anyway and he knew it.
“I’m going for a walk,” Daryl said as we both looked up at Dale on top of the RV, “shine some light in the forest. If she’s out there give her something to look at.” “Do you think that’s a good idea right now,” Dale asked as Daryl started to walk away. “Dale,” I said looking up at him after Daryl stopped where he was and looked back, “Carol’s crying. Just let us do this.” Dale nodded and I turned, walking past Daryl with a flashlight of my own in my hands as we made our way towards the woods. We walked in silence for a little, just looking for any signs of Sophia. “Don’t worry we’ll find her,” Daryl said after a few moments, must have noticed my expression. “You really think we will,” I asked as I glanced over at him.
“Don’t start getting that look like everybody else,” he said after looking over at me, “we only just started looking. “But do you really think we’ll find her,” I asked again, “Daryl she’s just a little girl. And she’s all alone out here.” “We’ll find her Anna,” he said looking over at me again, trying not to raise his voice, “look I know you’re worried and that she’s just a little girl but she could been hiding in a farmhouse somewhere for all we know. People get lost and they survive. Happens all the time.” “But she’s just twelve Daryl,” I said looking back to him then back to the woods. “Hell I was younger than her and I got lost,” he said chuckling. “You never told me about that,” I said grabbing his arm and pulling him to a stop so he’d look at me.
“Nine days in the woods eating berries,” he said as he got lost in the memory, “wiping my ass with poison oak.” “They found you,” I asked looking at him, fighting the smile that was randomly creeping up onto my face as I imagined a younger version of Daryl alone in the woods. “My old man was off on a bender with some waitress,” he said shaking his head, “Merle was doing another stint in juvie. Didn’t even know I was gone. I made my way back though.” I smiled up at him as he looked down at me. “Went straight into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich,” he said still smiling, “no worse for wear. Except my ass itched something awful.” I snickered then covered my mouth to try and keep from laughing anymore. “Sorry Daryl,” I said still trying to hold back the laughs, “I shouldn’t laugh at your itchy ass.”
“No,” he said as he stepped closer to me, “but I know you love my itchy ass.” “Do I now,” I said teasing as he took another step forward and I took one back, coming into contact with a tree I didn’t know was there. “The only difference between me and Sophia,” he said leaning closer to me, “Sophia has people out looking for her. I call that an advantage.” I bit my lower lip as I looked from his blue eyes down to his lips then back up again. I watched as he leaned closer and just as our lips were about to touch, I got the awful urge to puke again.
I quickly pushed Daryl away and turned around. I bent over and started throwing up my stomach’s contents. As I continued, I felt Daryl walk over and hold my hair back as I went on until I only had nothing but dry heaves left. “Are ya okay Anna,” Daryl asked as I slowly straightened up and wiped my mouth off, “ya been like this for a few days now and I’m starting to worry ‘bout ya.” “I’m alright to an extent,” I said as I leaned against the tree again and watched his expression. I didn’t want to tell him like this but we were away from the others and I didn’t know when my next chance would be. “What ya mean,” he asked looking at me worried. “Well,” I said taking a deep breath then looking up at him, “I think I might be pregnant.”