Ch. 27 - Changed

Daryl
Anna and I didn’t stay gone for long in those woods, there was work to be done and I just really needed to get away from everyone and just cool off. When we reentered camp, I handed her my crossbow and picked up the pick axe, walking over to the dead geeks and slamming it down into their heads to let off more steam. I looked over at Anna while I stood still for a moment, just holding the pick, ready the thrust it into another geek’s head. She was standing there, with my crossbow in her hands holding it like a pro while her hair had been pulled back into a messy pony-tail. She had changed since day break and I only just noticed. She was wearing a tank that came to a stop just under her belly button but covered her completely up to her neck and she had on a pair of blue jean shorts that stopped on her hips and I’m positive they used to be actual jeans before all this. She had on a pair of army boots I watched her snag from that department store just before we went up to find Merle gone.
She had dirt, sweat, and grim covering every piece of skin that was showing. I’d say if you didn’t know any better you’d think she grew up doing this. The Anna I knew before this world went to shit was gone, replaced with this new Anna. I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not, but at least I knew she could take care of herself now if something should happen to me. She caught my eyes with her own as I continued to stare and she smiled knowingly at me, like she knew what I was just thinking. Her eyes showed the still innocent side of Anna, but the rest of her showed differently. I couldn’t believe how much she’d changed in just a month’s time. As I turned to the next geek in line waiting to have my pick through his head, I caught out of the corner of my eye, Anna shifting and turning to something in front of me.
I lifted up my head from looking down at the geek to see Carol walking over towards me with her hand raised as I still had the pick resting on my shoulder, ready to be put into the guy’s head. “I’ll do it,” she whispered, “he’s my husband.” I glanced over at Anna, she was watching Carol then turned to look at me as she nodded. I looked back to Carol and handed her the pick then stepped back with Anna beside me as we let Carol do what she felt she needed to do. “Daryl,” Anna whispered from beside me, “if I ever get bit, please put a bullet or an arrow through my head before I turn. I don’t wanna end up like that.” She nodded her head over towards Andrea and Amy and I nodded, knowing I would because she’d do the same if it was me. I just hope that day will never come.
After Carol was finished and sitting over with Dale, Anna and I went and stood off to the side of the group to take a break and to be alone enough to talk when there was a commotion over at the RV. I looked over to see that dead girl moving on her own, I knew this would happen. I went to walk over there and finally take care of her when I felt someone grab my arm and stopped me. I looked back to see Anna was still watching over there but had ahold of my arm. “Let her do it,” she whispered, not even looking up at me as I turned to see Rick and Shane making their way over to them. When the sound of a gunshot rang out around camp, I felt Anna jump beside me. I knew she had been watching, just as I knew she wouldn’t look away as soon as the gun was to the dead girl’s head. I backed up a few steps, not looking back to her, as I wrapped her in a hug while I felt her begin to cry. There was the Anna I knew before all this started.