Ch. 59 - Look Like Shit

Daryl

Damn my side is killing me. I can’t give up now, I just climbed out of that damn ravine and walked all the way back to that farm. I know I must look like shit. I dropped my crossbow a while back, started dragging the sucker. I looked up as I cross the field, I can see people running towards me, armed. Must think I’m a walker. It’s mostly the guys, but I see a female running with them. Could it be Anna? She’d do something stupid like running towards a walker, especially if it threatened the group. I looked up again, and there stands Rick, with that damn gun in my face for the third time.

“Is that Daryl,” I hear the Chinaman say just as Anna runs up behind Rick. The look on her face tells me she’s horrified at the sight of me, damn I must really look like shit then. “That’s the third time you’ve pointed that thing at my head,” I growled staring Rick down as I see a smile slowly cross Anna’s face, “you gonna pull the trigger or what?” “Daryl,” I heard Anna breathe out as she slowly walked over to me, “you look like shit.” “Feel like it too,” I said smirking over at her as I watched the other members of the group that ran to meet me relax.

Next thing I know, I hear a gunshot and feel it as I’m shot. “No,” I hear Anna shout as I fall to the ground and seconds later I feel a pair of small hands, must be Anna’s, touching my face. I feel my face being moved slightly to one side where they can see where I was shot at. “It’s just a graze,” I hear a voice say, sounds like Rick, but I hear sobbing too, “Anna it’s just a graze. He’ll be fine but we need to get him to your uncle to have him look at Daryl’s side. Go let him know. Go Anna!” “Okay,” I heard her say then last thing I hear before blacking out is her footsteps running away.

When I finally remember coming to, my vision was a little blurry but I could just make out Anna’s head beside where mine was. I was laying on a bed, someone was messing with my side. “Oh thank God,” I heard Anna whisper when she realized I was conscious, “I thought I lost ya.” “Ain’t losin’ me that easy,” I said reaching my hand over to her and gently rubbing her cheek as a tear fell. “Daryl,” I heard Rick say and glanced over to see him on the other side of the room, “you found Sophia’s doll. Could you tell us where?” I glanced back to see Hershel, Anna’s uncle was messing with my side then glanced back at Anna to see she was watching me so I nodded.

“I found it washed up on the creek bed right there,” I said pointing on the map Rick had placed in front of me, “she must have dropped it crossing there somewhere.” “Here,” Anna said walking back into the room with a cloth for my head. “Cuts the grid almost in half,” Rick said as he looked back at Shane who had walked into the room with Rick when he brought back the map. “Yeah you’re welcome,” I said as I looked over to Hershel as he finished up my side. “How’s he lookin’ Uncle Hershel,” Anna asked looking from me to her uncle.

“I had no idea we’d be going through the antibiotics so quickly,” he said as he walked away, “any idea what happened to my horse?” “Yeah, the one that almost killed me,” I asked, “if it’s smart it left the country.” “We call that one Nelly,” he said, “as in Nervous Nelly. I could have told you she’d throw you if you’d bothered to ask. It’s a wonder you people have survived this long.” “Okay Uncle Hershel that’s enough,” Anna said looking at her uncle and Rick, “all y’all out. Go on now. I’m gonna help Daryl clean up a bit. I’ll be down for supper when I’m done.” Hershel gave me and Anna a funny look the left, Rick just nodded and followed him out with Shane right behind him.