Ch. 51 - Gonna Find Her

Daryl
We kept walking, after hearing the gun shot. But it was bugging me a little and I could sense it was bugging Anna and Lori too. I felt a hand on my shoulder causing me to stop just as I heard Andrea speak up. “You still worrying about it,” she asked and I looked back to see Lori had stopped and was looking back the way we had come. “It was a gunshot,” she said as I glanced to Anna then back to Lori. “We all heard it,” I said as I looked around, keeping an eye out for any signs of a possible walker approaching. “Why one,” Lori asked, “why just one gunshot?” “Been asking myself the same thing,” Anna said stepping forwards a step. “Maybe they took down a walker,” I said shrugging and earning a glare from Anna. “Please don’t patronize me,” Lori said while I was still looking at Anna who held her glare. “You know Rick wouldn’t risk a gunshot to put down one walker,” she said still with the glare, “Or Shane.”
“They’d do it quietly,” Lori said as she looked away from the group. “Shouldn’t they have caught up with us by now,” Carol asked as I watched Anna turn to look at her. “There’s nothing we can do about it anyway,” I said sighing as I took a step forward and glanced at Anna to see her face was no longer carrying the glare from earlier, “can’t run around these woods chasing echoes.” “So what do we do,” Lori snapped. “Same as we’ve been,” I said, “beat the bush for Sophia, work our way back to the highway.” “I’m sure they’ll hook up with us back at the RV,” Andrea said. We all started to make our way back towards the highway when I heard Andrea talking again, but this time to Carol.
“I’m sorry for how you feel,” she said as we all stopped and looked back, “I know how you feel.” “I suppose you do,” Carol said then looked back to all of us, “the thought of her out here by herself, it’s the not knowing that’s killing me. I just keep hoping and praying she doesn’t wind up like Amy.” It took her a minute to realize exactly what she just said. “Oh God,” she said, “that’s the worst thing I ever said.” I watched to see what Andrea would say, that had been a touchy topic for her ever since what happened back at our old camp. “We’re all hoping and praying with you,” she said calmly to Carol, “for what it’s worth.” Okay that’s it, I’m tired of hearing about all this hoping and praying bullshit.
“I’ll tell you what it’s worth,” I said stepping over to the two, ignoring Anna’s glares again, “not a damn thing. It’s a waste of time, all this hoping and praying. ‘Cause we’re gonna locate that little girl, she’s gonna be just fine. Am I the only one zen around here? Good Lord.” I walked away from them, Lori walking up to them as I turned to leave, and walked by Anna. I turned around to face her when she smacked me upside the back of my head with a glare still glued to her face. “The hell was that for,” I asked glaring right back. “For telling Carol it’s a waste of time to hope and pray,” she said then walked over to me and reached up to kiss my cheek, “that was for saying we’ll find Sophia alive.” “You’ve gone bipolar Little Mouse,” I said smiling down at her as she playfully glared at me, “c’mon let’s get moving again!” I looked back to see everyone was walking towards us and began leading them back to the highway once again, still looking for Sophia as we continued on.