Ch. 25 - Had It Coming

Daryl
“Wake up Jimbo,” I said to Jim as I walked by him, “we’ve got some work to do.” I walked by him and on to Morales who seemed to be having a bit of trouble with the dead man he was trying to drag. “Thanks,” he said to me as I bent down and grabbed the man’s other arm and helped drag him to the fire. I nodded as we grew closer to the fire but the Chinaman decided he didn’t like that. “What are you guys doing,” he asked as me and Morales continued to drag the guy closer to the fire, “this is for geeks. Our people go over there.” “What’s the difference,” I asked looking back at him as me and Morales dropped the body, “they’re all infected.” “Our people go in that row over there,” he said pointing away from the fire while I glared up at him, “we don’t burn them. We bury them. Understand?”
Morales and I just stared at him. I really wasn’t in the mood to deal with this shit. “Our people go in that row over there,” he said and pointed again. I had it in my mind to tell the Chinaman off but I caught a glance from Anna sitting over with Carol and Lori and thought better of it. Both me and Morales bent down, picking up the dead guy again and dragging him over where the rest of our people were laying on the ground waiting to be buried. “You reap what you sow,” I said as we dropped the guy and I walked over towards Anna. “You know what,” Morales said, “shut up man.” “Y’all left my brother for dead,” I said glaring back at him as I turned from Anna’s direction and went over to the pick axe, “you had this coming!”
I walked off from the group, I needed to be alone for a moment. I didn’t like this group but I stayed around because I knew they’d never survive without my ability to hunt. I had the pick in my hand when I heard a twig snap behind me. I turned around, pick raised to lodge into any geek’s head when I realized it wasn’t a geek. “Really Dixon,” Anna asked placing her hands on her hips with a knowing smile, “now you wouldn’t wanna use a thing like that on little ol’ me now would ya?” “Damn it Anna,” I said as she started giggling. “Get ahold of yourself Daryl,” she said, “ya need to calm down. I know losing Merle like that was hard. But don’t take it out on them.” I watched as she walked over to me and placed her hands on either side of my cheeks. “The other’s will see,” I whispered as I dropped the pick, didn’t really want her to leave anyway. “The hell with the others,” she said smiling as she stepped up on her tip toes and kissed me.
I heard a commotion coming from camp and groaned as Anna pulled away and looked back. We both made our way towards everyone when we heard Jacqui talking out loud for everyone to hear. “A walker got him,” she shouted as I quickened my pace to get to everyone, “a walker bit Jim!” “I’m okay,” Jim said backing away from us all, “I’m okay.” “Show it to us,” I said as I glanced around at everyone else, “show it to us.” I watched as Jim turned around and grabbed the shovel and turned back to face most of us. “Easy Jim,” Shane said as he went on the defensive. “Grab him,” I said stepping closer. “Jim put it down,” Shane said, “put it down!” “Grab him,” I said again as T-Dog stepped forward grabbing him and pulled his arms back as he dropped the shovel.
“I’m okay,” Jim said as I ran forward and lifted up his shirt revealing the bit mark on his side, “I’m okay.” I quickly dropped his shirt and stepped back and over to where I was between him and Anna. He kept saying I’m okay but I think that was more for himself than for us. I looked back at Anna as I felt her place her small hands on my arm. I lifted my arm and she stepped forward, enough so that she was completely against my side and I wrapped my arm tightly around her shoulders, holding her as close to me as possible. I watched as Rick took Jim over to the RV then called a group meeting of basically everyone in the group and began discussing what we should do.