Ch. 56 - The Farm

Anna

Daryl and I made it back to the highway without any troubles, but I was tired now more than ever. I noticed Carol climbing down from the top of the RV and running inside then Dale appeared at the back looking at us. I watched as Daryl reached the door first and looked to Dale then entered inside the RV. I stayed back for a second, looking back the way we came, towards the woods, just hoping to see Sophia’s little blonde head walking back towards us. But there was nothing. No Sophia, only cars. “We’ll find her,” I heard Dale said as I looked back to him and placed my hand on the handle of the door. “I hope we do,” I said and sighed then went inside and laid down with Daryl on the floor again.

As I lay there, on the floor in Daryl’s arms again with my head resting on his chest, feeling myself rise and fall with his steady breathing, I begin to wonder. I wonder if it’s the right thing to be bringing a baby into the world. The look on Daryl’s face when I told him, it wasn’t a look of anger or just shock. It was a look of pure happiness. He told me, he didn’t think he’d ever have the chance to be a father and now here he was, with me possibly pregnant. My thoughts may wander over to the dark side, about not keeping the baby, but I know I couldn’t and wouldn’t take this child away from Daryl. It’d break my heart to do so and I wouldn’t be able to live with that.

I don’t remember falling asleep, I only remember being woken up early the next morning. I felt Daryl shift from under me, like he was trying to keep from waking me, but that didn’t work out too well. “Where you going,” I asked and I could hear the sleep still heavy in my voice. “We’re getting up,” Daryl whispered, “getting ready to head to the farm. Why don’t ya stay in here and sleep?” “No way in hell,” I muttered sitting up and rubbing my eyes, “I’d rather be with you on your bike.” I finally looked up at him and smiled when I heard him chuckle. Next think I know, both his hands are in front of me and I gladly take them as he pulls me up to my feet with ease. “C’mon then,” he said as he released my hands and walked over to the table to grab his crossbow.

I walk over to the counter where I laid my gun again last night and placed it into the back waistband of my jeans again then followed him out the RV. “How’d ya sleep,” Daryl asked as we walked over to the bike and got it ready to leave. “Like shit,” I said laughing as he looked back at me, “but I was with you so it doesn’t matter how I slept.” I watched as he smirked at me then climbed onto the bike. “C’mon now ain’t got all day,” he said then turned and started the bike. I smiled at him and quickly ran over to him, climbing on and wrapping my arms around his waist. We both looked back at Dale in the RV who nodded signaling he was ready. I watched Daryl nod then pulled off from where we sat, headed back the way we had come to go towards the farm where Carl was taken.

I don’t think it took all that long before we finally spotted the farm house, of course I wasn’t paying attention anyway. I was too focused on what to expect with Carl being shot and also seeing the only family I figure I have left now other than Daryl and our little one that’s on the way. As the house came into view, and I could see people outside, I began to remember what it was like here when I was younger. Me and Maggie, we were always so close and you’d swear up and down we were sisters, not cousins. But the last time I saw any of them, Uncle Hershel or Maggie or even Beth, it was a year before the world went to shit and I had just told them about Daryl and his brother Merle.

Daryl pulled up towards the front porch just as Rick, Lori, T-Dog, Glenn, Uncle Hershel and Maggie walked out the front door. “Uncle Hershel! Maggie,” I shouted as Daryl parked the bike and I hopped off running straight for my family. “Anna,” Maggie said as she ran straight for me past everyone else, “oh my God! I thought you were dead!” We both collided into each other, tears streaming down as we held on to each other for dear life. “Anna,” I heard Beth’s voice come from the side of the house and the next thing I know she’s joining in on the group hug. “Anna,” I heard Uncle Hershel say from a few feet away from me and his daughters. Maggie and Beth pulled away as I looked over at him. “Uncle Hershel,” I said, tears falling harder as I walked over to him and hugged him tightly. “Thank God you’re safe,” was all I heard him say before I started crying harder.