Prompt #35

Prompt: What if Ethan lets Will's previous feelings for Benji slip?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                We sat in Will’s living room. I was leaning against him, my head resting comfortably on his shoulder. Will was sipping on a soda and watching us as we played Mario Kart.

                “No, no, no!” Benji cried miserably as I hit him with a red shell and passed him.

                “You suck,” I said.

                “I hate you,” he groaned.

                “I know.” I grinned and his Gideon with a red shell, passing him.

                Gideon pouted and shot a green shell at me, managing to hit me. He grinned and passed me, coming in first place.

                “How the hell did you hit me with a green shell? That’s it. Gideon’s a god,” I said as I came in second. “And Benji still sucks.”

                He pouted as he came in last place. Gideon laughed and kissed him, wrapping an arm around him.

                Sonnet came back into the room with two bowls of popcorn. She sat one down for me and Will, and took the other back to the couch she was sharing with Benji and Gideon.

                “Benji’s not that bad,” Will said with a shrug.

                “Thank you! See, Will knows,” Benji said triumphantly.

                “He’s only saying that because he used to like you,” I said with a shrug.

                Will choked on his drink and I slapped a hand over my mouth. Benji stared at me in surprise.

                “Oops,” I said as Will punched his chest and gasped for breath. “I don’t think I was supposed to say that out loud.”

                “You definitely weren’t supposed to say that,” Sonnet said.

                “What?” Benji asked in confusion.

                “Ethan!” Will snarled, and I scooted away from him.

                “William, do not kill me,” I said cautiously. “My mom will kick your ass if you do.”

                “You used to like me, Will?” Benji asked, looking impossibly confused.

                “God, you are dense,” I said, rolling my eyes. I winced as Will punched me in the arm. “Ow! I’m in an abusive relationship.”

                Will’s face heated up as he glanced at Benji. “I…uh…”

                “He had a crush on you,” Sonnet said since Will had forgotten how to speak. “You were kind of like his safe crush, since he knew you guys wouldn’t actually get together.”

                “Sonnet!” Will hissed.

                “What? It’s true,” she said with a shrug. “How else do you think mom, dad, and I figured out you were just a scowling ball of homosexuality?”

                “I…I kind of thought you had a crush on Benji,” Gideon admitted with a light blush.

                “Benji is the most oblivious idiot in the world,” I said, rolling my eyes.

                “I had no idea,” Benji said in shock.

                “What else is new.” I grunted as Will elbowed me.

                Will shot Benji a pleading look. “Don’t let it change anything. I don’t like you anymore, I swear.”

                “You better not like him anymore,” I said, pouting.

                Will turned and kissed me. “I like you. I mean, I hate you most of the time. But I like you and only you. I don’t have feelings for Benji anymore.”

                “I can’t believe you ever did,” Benji said, frowning. “How did I not notice?”

                “That’s what we’re all trying to figure out,” I said, catching Will’s arm before he could elbow me again.

                “This is so awkward,” Will groaned. “Ethan, I hate you.” He buried his face against my shirt and I pat his back sympathetically.

                “Well this is incredibly awkward. Let’s play another round,” I said, picking up my controller.

                Benji shot Will another confused look before shrugging and picking up his controller. Will slowly pulled his head away from my chest and sank down against the couch as we began to play. I brushed it off, since it would only be awkward for a few days and then everything would be back to normal.