Prompt #52

(I'll post the prompt at the end of this, but this prompt does take place in the future)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “Come on,” I groaned as the cars in front of me inched forward. I was going to be late to dinner, and my husband and kids would be worried or annoyed with me. I could just imagine the “William Alexander Duvet stop leaving work late!” speech I would get.

                I let out a sigh of relief as I finally inched up enough to take the turn into my neighborhood. I drove to the house and parked the car, getting out of it and locking it.

                I went up to the front door and let myself into the house. I set my stuff down on the ground carefully and shrugged out of my jacket.

                “DADDY!”

                I smiled and looked up as my daughter ran over and launched into my arms. I stood up with her, swinging her around, smiling wider as she giggled.

                “Hi Cecilia, sorry I’m home late,” I said, kissing her cheek. I looked up and sighed. “Ethan! Hey, Ethan!”

                I smiled as my son ran over to me. “Daddy! You’re home!” he said, launching at my leg and hugging it.

                I knelt down and set Cecilia down, hugging my son tightly. I looked up as my husband finally appeared in the doorway.

                “William Alexander Duvet! Stop leaving work late!” he said, just like I had predicted.

                “Sorry,” I said with a sigh.

                “Daddy,” my son said, tugging on my leg. “I’m hungry.”

                “Okay Ethan,” I said, smiling down at him and lifting him into my arms. I looked up at my husband. “Michael, is dinner ready?”

                Michael nodded and motioned at us to follow him. I carried Ethan with me as we passed through the living room, looking over at the pictures on our mantle.

                There was one of me as a 20 year old man, a smile on my face. A cute, scrawny 18 year old was sitting in my lap, mid laugh.

                The last picture we had taken together before Ethan’s allergy had killed him.

                It had been 20 years since Ethan’s death, and I was now married to my husband Michael. When our son had been born, I was insistent that we named him Ethan.

                When Ethan was alive and we were dating, I had pictured us standing together, saying “I do”. Calling him Ethan Duvet for the first time.

                But he had died tragically before that had happened. So now I had my son, Ethan Duvet.

                “Daddy?”

                I looked down at the Ethan in my arms. He frowned up at me and reached up, pointing at my cheek.

                “Daddy, why are you crying?” he asked. He wiped the tears off my cheeks. “Don’t cry!”               

                I hugged him tightly. Michael came over, putting his arms around me and kissing me. He knew I would never fully recover from Ethan’s death.

                “I’m sorry,” I whispered.

                “Don’t be,” Michael mumbled, rubbing my back. “It’s okay, Will. It’s okay.”

                I hugged my son and husband to me tightly, hating myself because I knew I would give them all up in a second if it meant I got my Ethan back. Hating how much I missed him after 20 years. Hating how I couldn’t picture him clearly in my mind anymore. I couldn’t remember his smell, I couldn’t remember the look in his eyes when he said he loved me, I couldn’t hear his laugh clearly, I couldn’t remember how it felt to hold him and make love to him and kiss him and just lie with him in my arms.

                “Ethan,” I choked out, and hated myself deeply because the tiny arms that wrapped around my neck weren’t the arms I wanted to feel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prompt: Hi Jen! Can you do one where Will returns home from work and is greeted by his daughter? And then he calls out for Ethan, then his son comes running out and greets him too? Then turns out "Ethan" is the name of his son BECAUSE THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF MY DEATH PROMPT and Will actually got married and named his son Ethan.

A.N.- This is a continuation of prompt #48. So, once upon a time, there was an angel in heaven. Well, that angel feLL FROM HEAVEN AND EVENTUALLY MADE THIS PROMPT AND THAT EX ANGEL GOES BY THE NAME OF SATAN. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MEET SATAN, THE KILLER OF ETHAN AND TORTURER OF WILL. Yea this was confusing to write because of Ethan's lack of last name, sorry about that. Hope you all enjoyed, tissues are to your left, and Satan is among us -.-