Prompt #60

A.N.- Okay, this isn't technically a prompt. It's something I got random inspiration for. Basically, it's Ethan and Will on the same Christmas night as kids, and then shows them getting ready for Christmas as adults.

I don't know, I loved Christmas right up until I was 17, and then family problems and deaths and stupid shit ruined it for me, but sometimes I just like to think back on being an excited little kid and traditions and what not. So I hope this puts some people in a happier mood, maybe puts a smile on your face. Literally all I listened to last year was All I Was For Christmas Is New Year's Day by Hurts, and I don't want to be like that again this year, I want to make people happy during the holidays. So I hope this makes you guys happy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                6 year old Ethan jerked his head up and rubbed his eyes, feeling exhausted. His aunt’s house was nearly cleared of people.

                Home Alone was playing on the TV, and his uncle and dad were talking on the couch next to him. Greg looked over and gave Ethan a small smile.

                “Hey buddy. Tired?” he said.

                Ethan yawned and nodded, sitting up. He padded over to his dad, crawling into his lap. Greg rubbed Ethan’s back.

                “We’re leaving soon, I promise. Mommy’s just helping your aunt clean the kitchen,” he said.

                “Mommy is done cleaning the kitchen,” Mary said, coming out. “Ready to go home, Ethan? You can open a present tonight, and then we have to get you to bed so Santa can come!”

                Ethan brightened up a little. “Let’s go!” he said.

                His uncle laughed. “Santa sure has his attention.”

                Mary picked Ethan up and set him on the ground. She helped him into his jacket and handed him the candy cane and stuffed animal his aunt and uncle had bought for him. after saying goodbye, they walked out of the house with Ethan, Mary holding his hand securely so he didn’t slip on the ice.

                She helped him into the car before getting in with Greg. They pulled away from the house, heading towards their own home.

                “Hey, Ethan, my sister and I use to look for Santa on Christmas Eve,” Mary said, smiling back at the sleepy boy. “Every year, we’d watch the sky for him on the way home. We never saw him, but maybe you will.”

                “Really?” Ethan asked in amazement, staring out of the window at the dark sky, watching the snow fall steadily. He placed his hand on the cold window, his eyes scanning the sky in search of Santa.

                But they pulled into the driveway without a sign of the jolly man. Greg pulled Ethan out of the car and smiled, kissing his cheek.

                “One last look, just in case. Do you see him?” he asked, looking up at the sky with Ethan.

                “No daddy! I don’t see him!” Ethan said, frowning.

                “Well, he’ll come tonight. That’s the thing about faith. You have to believe, even when you can’t see. Have faith that Santa will be here tonight with your presents. You’ve been a good boy,” Greg said, carrying Ethan inside and to the living room.