Prompt #57

Prompt: Hi Jen! Can you write a scene where William was finally flying off to California, and Ethan was there to see him off? I want them reassuring each other that they'll stay in touch and that they'll get through it, and William cries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “Call us when you land,” Grace was saying, hugging Will tightly. “I love you so much William. We’ll see you in a few months! Call us anytime you miss us!”

                “Mom, I’ll be fine,” Will said, hugging her back.

                “Bye Will. I love you,” Leo said, hugging Will and smiling sadly at him. “Make sure you call us!”

                “I’ll call, I’ll call,” Will said.

                Sonnet punched him in the arm. “Feel free to stay in California so we never have to see you again.”

                “My room is still my room, brat,” he said, punching her back.

                He turned to me at last. He was flying out to California today for a job he had gotten. He had an apartment out there all ready for him, and we didn’t know when we’d see him again.

                “Bye,” I said, trying to fight off the emotions trying to choke me.

                “I’m getting more than a bye,” he said, pulling me into his arms. “Are you sure you’re going to be okay?”

                “No, I’m going to see how many Snickers I can eat before I die a horrible gasping death,” I said, resting my head on his shoulder and hugging him back.

                “Don’t eat nuts!” he said sternly. “Any nuts.”

                “Only yours,” I said, grinning and kissing his cheek. We’d had a much more intimate goodbye last night.

                “Ethan, I don’t know about this,” he mumbled, hugging me so tight it hurt. “What if something happens? What if you need me?”

                “I have your phone number,” I reminded. “Will, don’t worry so much. Just go to California, get hella famous, and hook me up with a one night stand with Rob Lowe.”

                “Ethan!” He rolled his eyes. “I’m going to be a bitch boy for a while. That’s how it works in the film world.”

                “Damn, I’m going to miss having you as my bitch boy,” I said with a sigh.

                “Shut up, we all know you’re the bitch.” He kissed my cheek. “I’m going to miss you.”

                I closed my eyes, burying my face against his neck. “Stop before I get emotional! Dammit, you just have to be older than me and move to freaking California.”

                “I’m going to text you more than a clingy girlfriend,” he mumbled, stroking my hair. “We’re going to work this out. I’ll come home whenever I can, even if it’s just a few times a year. When you graduate college, I’ll be there. We’re just going to be long distance for a little while. We’re not going to break up. I promise.”

                “I love you,” I said quietly. “Call your parents when you land, and then call me. Skype me when you get to your apartment. I want to see it.”

                “I promise I will. I love you Ethan.” I looked up since his voice was choked, and my heart stuttered at the tears gathering in his eyes.

                “Are you…Shit, you’re going to make me emotional!” I groaned.

                “Shut up, we don’t talk about this,” he said, keeping his arms around me. “Of course I had to fall in love with someone who’s still in college. Can’t I bring you with me? You’re small enough to fit in my suitcase.”

                “You ruined the moment,” I said, but didn’t let him go. “Moment ruiner.”

                “Sh.” He continued to stroke my hair, and I felt my heart drop as a tear leaked down his cheek. This was really happening. Will was really about to get on a plane and fly all the way to California by himself. I wasn’t going to see him for god only knew how long. I was losing my boyfriend.

                ‘Hey, hey, it’s okay,” Will said, his voice shaky but soothing. “You’re trembling. Don’t do that, Ethan. I know this is hard. Believe me, I know. But we’re going to stay in touch. I’ll call you every day if you want. I promise. You can call me anytime you need me or miss me or whatever.”

                “You’re such a sap,” I choked out, hugging him tighter. “We’re going to be one of those successful long distance relationships. And when you come back from California I’m going to hug you so tight your spine will break.”

                “You better,” he said, slowly pulling away from me.

                He tilted my head up and bent down, slowly bringing our lips together. I cupped his face in my hands as he drew my body closer, kissing me hard and lovingly, knowing this would be the last time we got to kiss for a while.

                It was over too soon, and he was pulling his lips away from mine. He pushed my hair out of my face and gave me a weak smile, wiping his eyes in embarrassment.

                “I love you,” I said, hugging him again as they called for his flight.

                “I love you so much Ethan. I’ll be back,” he promised, kissing me one last time before grabbing his bag.

                He gave me a weak smile before turning and disappearing into a crowd of people. Sonnet slung an arm around my shoulder.            

                “In a few months, we’ll be standing here waiting for him to come out of the crowd. It’ll be fine Ethan,” she said.

                I felt a horrible loneliness already eating away at me, but I fought it down. I would be strong for Will so that he didn’t have to worry about me. And when he finally came back home, I decided I was going to kiss him so hard I’d break his lips.