Prompt #38

Prompt: Can you do a prompt where Ethan eats something with nuts in it and had to be rushed to the hospital..but unfortunately he slips into a coma..he wakes up after a few days ( ur wish ) and everyone is thankful and will (boyfriend) actually cries when ethan wakes up! Ethan is overjoyed to find he is no more alone and has people for him

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                My cell phone buzzed and I picked it up. “Hello?”

                “W-Will?”

                I froze, because that was Ethan’s dad, and he was crying. “Greg?” I said, trying to compose myself. “What’s wrong?”

                “It’s Ethan,” he whispered.

                My heart stopped and my blood ran cold. “What happened to Ethan?”

                “He’s in a coma,” Greg said, and I could hear the tears threatening his voice.

                I nearly dropped the phone. “What?” I choked out.

                “He ate something with nuts in it. He wasn’t breathing when we got him to the hospital. They got him breathing again, but he slipped into a coma,” he said, and I could tell he was crying again.

                No. No, not Ethan. Not Ethan, please not Ethan.

                “We got him to the hospital as fast as we could,” Greg continued. “If we had been even two minutes later, he’d probably be…d-dead. They don’t know when he’ll come out of this coma.”

                He told me the hospital room that Ethan was in, and asked me to tell Sonnet. He hung up and I left my room, feeling like I was in a daze.

                “Will? Will’s what’s wrong?” mom asked in concern when she saw me. She was sitting with Sonnet on the couch.

                “Ethan’s in a coma,” I said, and robotically repeated what his dad has told me.

                Mom slapped a hand over her mouth. “Oh my god,” she whispered.

                Sonnet’s eyes were wide. “Can we go see him?” she asked at last.

                I nodded and she got up. She started walking and I hesitated before hugging her, because I just needed to hug someone. She hugged me back tightly.

                “Will, he’ll be okay,” she said softly. “You know Ethan. He’s a pain in the ass. But he’ll be okay. He’ll wake up and say something sarcastic and everything will be fine.”

                I released her without a word and we went out to the car. I drove us to the hospital and we went up to Ethan’s room. Benji and Gideon were already in there, along with Ethan’s parents.

                Mary was stroking Ethan’s hair, tears in her eyes. Greg had his arm around her and was watching Ethan with pain in his eyes.

                Ethan was lying on the bed, hooked up to various machinery that announced he was still alive and functioning. His face was pale and his eyes were closed. He looked like he was just sleeping off an illness, not plunged into a coma.

                I stared at him, my heart sinking. I shakily sat down next to his bed. Gideon had an arm around Benji as Benji stared at Ethan hopelessly.

                “He’ll be okay, right?” Benji asked quietly.

                “He’ll be back to normal before we know it,” Sonnet said, patting Benji on the shoulder.

                Still, I couldn’t get the fears out of my mind. I reached out, taking Ethan’s hand in mine, praying for him to wake up. I would stay with him until he did.

                                                                                ***Ethan’s POV***

                It was dark, and I was faintly aware of an obnoxious beeping. I felt hungry and tired and thirsty and disoriented.

                Someone was holding my hand, their grip warm. Will, I thought. That’s definitely Will’s hand.

                I forced my eyes open, blinking around the plain room. “What’s a guy gotta do to get some food?”

                Will jumped and looked down at me, his mouth dropping open. I reached up with my free hand, my arm feeling heavy, and shut his mouth.

                “Don’t let the flies get in,” I said.

                “See? I told you,” Sonnet said, but there was enormous relief in her voice.

                “Ethan!” mom cried, and then I was pulled into a crushing hug. “Oh, god, Ethan! Thank god! Thank god!”

                “Thank god for he has risen,” I said, trying to struggle away from her. “But why are you crushing me?”

                I looked up and frowned. “Will, are you crying?”

                There was a tear leaking down his cheek. He pulled me into a tight hug of his own and then kissed me so fiercely I was surprised my clothes didn’t come flying off. But then his lips were off of mine, and I was back in his arms, and his face was buried against my neck. I could feel his tears on my skin.

                “What’s happening?” I asked in confusion as I hugged him back. “Why am I in a hospital room? Why is Will crying?”

                “You slipped into a coma,” dad whispered, stroking my hair. “You’ve been in it for almost a week. You ate something with nuts in it and stopped breathing when we got you here. Your mom, your friends, and I have been here every day waiting for you to wake up. God, I love you so much Ethan. I’m so glad you’re awake.” He kissed my cheek.

                Will pulled away from me and I stared at everyone in shock. They had been here every day waiting for me to wake up?

                “Way to scare us!” Benji said, lightly hitting my arm. But he had a relieved smile on his face, and even he pulled me into a hug.

                “You all…” I stared at them again. I groaned as I felt tears coming to my eyes. “Oh god. I’m turning into a sap.”

                But I had friends relieved that I was okay. That was something I could’ve only ever dreamed of. But this was real. My friends cared about me. They really cared about me. I wasn’t alone anymore.

                “I love you guys,” I said, pulling Will into my arms and hugging him tightly, joy rushing through me as I looked at my friends again, smiling despite the tears gathering in my eyes. They smiled back at me, and the relief in their eyes sent more joy rushing through me. God, I love my friends.