Chapter 11 : Possibilities

Time Skip One Week

Garcia's POV

It's been exactly one week and four days since the whole situation started. No one has heard from Reid since he left the hospital.

We have all called him multiple times, but each time it goes straight to voicemail. The doctors say that there aren't any signs, good or bad right now showing in Nicki.

But the good news is, all of us are allowed in her room now. Before it was just one to two at a time.

We were all sitting in silence, but Morgan decided it was a great time to shoot up from his seat and clap loudly.

"Alright. I'm going to go check on the kid. Anyone wanna come along?" He asked, spinning his key ring on his finger.

"I'm up for it. Let's go see this hermit crab." I said with my usual perkiness, following him to his car.

It was silent for a few seconds, but then I sighed. "Do you think he's okay, Derek?" I asked, sadness overwhelming me.

He repeated a sigh and shook his head. "No, no I don't. I don't think he'll ever be okay until he gets his 'Nicks' back. Even then I don't think he'll be fully okay because he loves her. Like really loves her. And he doesn't believe she'll ever love him back. But please don't pester him about it." He spoke softly, sadness dripping off his words.

I nodded and smiled sadly, then frowned in replacement. "I don't think so either. And I know, it was kind of obvious. But I won't, I understand he wants his privacy."

Soon, we were outside of Reid's apartment and knocking on the door.

No answer.

"Reid? It's Morgan and Garcia, we just wanted to check up on you! No one's heard from you all week!" Derek yelled through the door. 

No answer.

"Spencer!" Derek yelled, giving one last futile attempt to get Reid to open the door, but alas, it was to no prevail.

Still, no answer.

Derek signalled for me to step back, and I watched as he kicked the door in, from right beneath the handle. We walked in slowly, not sure as to what we would find. It was dark, and all the lights were off.

As we made our way through Spencer's apartment, we turned the lights on as we went. We checked the bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, but no Spencer. The last place we had yet to check was the living room. 

We worked our way over, only to see a sight that completely broke my heart over again. Spencer was laying passed out on the couch, a look of pain etched on his face. His phone was left on the coffee table, and I picked it up.

"It's powered off. By the looks of it, he hasn't touched it all week. The screen is collecting dust." I spoke quickly, wanting to make sure Spencer was alright.

Derek nodded, then examined Reid. "Derek," I spoke, pain evident in my words and on my face. He looked at me again, and I could only point to the coffee table again. On it, was an opened bottle of prescription sleeping pills.

He gasped and looked over to Reid quickly, scanning over him. I watched in silence as he checked Reid for a pulse. A few moments later, he sighed in relief.

"I'm obviously not happy he's just been taking these pills constantly to keep himself asleep, but at least he's been taking them at the prescribed amount."He spoke, sitting down and placing his head in his hands.

"I know Derek. How about this. You go back to the hospital, and I'll stay here and play mom with Spencer, okay? I'll make sure he doesn't take any more pills and I'll keep his mind off of everything for a while. Okay?" I offered, pulling him out of the seat and placing his keys in his hands.

He nodded, smiled briefly and walked towards the door. "Keep me posted, okay?" He asked, hand on the doorknob. I nodded.

"I will." I promise, saluting him, then turning on my heel and walking back over to the living room so I could be in there when Reid wakes up.

Emily's POV

The doctors had to check back up on Nicki. They were starting to worry that she wasn't going to get past this 'stress coma' or whatever they called it.

We were all sat in the hall when Morgan returned alone. No Garcia or Reid. "Where's Garcia, and how was Reid?" I asked him after he had sat down. He sighed and shook his head.

"Well, Garcia is with Reid. And Reid is hopped up on sleeping pills. He's been taking prescribed pills, sleeping from them, then taking them again. He wasn't intending to overdose, which he didn't, as he was taking the prescribed amounts. As of the phone calls, his phone hasn't been on or touched since he left the hospital." He spoke, rubbing his temples lightly.

"I haven't seen Spencer this upset since Maeve. And I think this time is worse." I replied, worry filling my concerned words.

He nodded, and we left it at that. The doctors went in her room about a half an hour ago, and we still haven't heard anything. Suddenly, a doctor appeared in front of us.

"Okay, so what I'm about to tell you is some win-lose news. So, when I tell you the good news, I don't want you to get your hopes up, alright?" He asked, worrying us even more than we already were.

"Yeah of course. Just, please tell us." Hotch spoke up for everyone, as we all were sat on the edge of our seats.

He nodded. "Well then, let's get on with it. Miss Jerone is waking up and should be stable and awake in about ten minutes. We've only taken such a long while because we were running last minute tests, and removing her from the machines. The bad news, however, is there is a massive possibility that she won't be Nicoletta Jerone, and she will forever be Caralyn Summers. But they're all just Possibilities." He spoke, smiling sadly at us.

"Really? Will she remember her job as an FBI agent, or will she only remember her life as Caralyn if that path occurs?" Rossi asked, standing up.

The doctor frowned and shook his head. "If on the off chance of her remembering herself as Caralyn, there will be no recollection of her previous life. She will remember Caralyn's life and only Caralyn's life. You may all see her now, and if the latter happens, I am dreadfully sorry for your loss." He spoke and went to speak with another family.

We all silently stood and solemnly walked into her room. We sat around, on the ground, stood, sat in the chairs, and paced. We were anxious, to say the least. Soon, her breathing was stable, and she was moving.

"Hey guys."

That was it. She has been out for the past seven, almost eight days, and that was all she had to say.