Chapter 15 : Suspicions

Time Skip One Month

Aaron's POV

It's been a month since the defusal, and we're all beginning to gain Suspicions about Nicki. After work, as soon as it's quitting time, she's out the door. She dresses less like herself now, and in different styles of clothing. It's more girly stuff like sundresses instead of suits. Also, lighter makeup rather than the darker types of makeup. Let's not forget that she isn't letting her hair grow back, and is keeping it short.

She normally declines any type of get together with the team, claiming she's busy. Tonight, she finally has to stay a little later to finish some paperwork, and we are going to invite her out for some dinner and drinks.

I walked down from my office after locking up and headed down to where she was sitting at her desk. She looked up at me and smiled, before looking back down at her papers. "Goodnight, Aaron. Have a nice night." She spoke, turning her desk lamp on in preparation for the lights to go out.

I gently removed the papers from her hands, placing them back on the desk. "Come out with us, Nicki. Please, we haven't gone out with you in ages." I begged, frowning slightly. 

She sighed, then checked her phone for some reason. She pondered for a moment and then sighed. "Yeah, okay Aaron. I'll come out. You're right, I need to hang out with all of you." She said, smiling and standing up.

Her answer brought a smile to my face as well. She grabbed her phone, stuck it in her handbag. She turned off her lamp and hooked her arm with mine. "I suppose we should get going." She said, and off we went, heading to meet the rest of the team at the restaurant.

I drove her, as she never really drives anymore, which is even more strange, but whatever, it's her choice.

Soon, we reached the place where the team was waiting on us. We parked and headed inside. When we walked through the doors, the team was seated and waving us over. We made our way, weaving through the tables, and eventually sat down.

"Well well well, who do we have here!?" Morgan asked teasingly, leaning on his hand. She sighed and shook her head.

"Listen, I'm sorry I have other things to worry about than to go out and drink. It isn't my top priority, and it shouldn't be yours either." She said and put her head in her hands. I barely caught Reid glare at Morgan, before going to comfort Nicki.

Soon, her phone rang. She didn't even look at it before standing up and backing towards the door. "I have to take this. Order for me, Spin. I'll be right back." She spoke quickly and then disappeared through the door before anyone could respond.

Nicki's POV

I stood outside the restaurant, staring through the windows to make sure no one comes out and hears me. I knew it was Rodger, on the days I couldn't make it, he was allowed one call to me.

"Hey love," I answered the phone smiling. "Sorry I couldn't make it today."

"No, no. It's perfectly fine. I understand. You come to see me almost every day, so if you can't come, it's okay. I'm just glad you forgive me for what I've done." I cringed, knowing I hadn't really forgiven him.

"Yeah, of course, I did. I love you." I responded, trying my best to sound loving. This was always stressful, but I was always much happier after, knowing that I am making someone happy, even if it wasn't really me.

"I love you too, dear. But, you know the rules, as do I. I have to go. I'll see you soon?" He asked, and I smiled knowing that he was very good with following the rules.

"Of course. Goodbye, love." With that, the line went dead. After that call, I felt calm. I was slightly guilty for the way I acted earlier, so I put a smile on my face and entered the restaurant.

I sat at the table and smiled at Morgan. "Hey, I'm sorry. I overreacted earlier, and you were just joking around, so I'm sorry." I said, keeping my smile on my face.

He returned the favour and waved it off. "It's no problem, Nicki." He said, sighing with relief.

We carried on with the night, and honestly, it was the most fun night I've had in a long while. I spent a lot of it speaking with Spin, and we just understood each other, and it was refreshing, to say the least.

Then, because I've been walking to work recently, he drove me home, and our night continued from there. He came inside and we sat on the couch, sipping on white wine.

"So, everyone has been gaining Suspicions about where you go to. Personally, I'm a little curious, but what you do is your business, and if we really had to know, I believe that you would've already told us." He brought up, shifting his body so that he was facing more towards me.

I raised an eyebrow and stole a sip of my wine. "Ahh," I said. "Yeah, I knew something was up the second Aaron begged me to go out."