Chapter 19 : We're Here For You

David's POV

"So, it was at least a decade and a half ago, Dave and I were newer partners, but we were out on a murder case in '99. But anyway, the police department we were working from got a call from a teacher who was worried about one of her students that hadn't been coming to school, and was not able to reach contact at the house."

I watched as Aaron took a breath, taking a second to look around to gauge the team's reactions. They were all pretty neutral. Deciding to give him a break, I picked the story up.

"So, being as we were at a low in the case, we figured it couldn't hurt to go check out the address, maybe we'd find something useful for the case. After all, you never know." I took a breath.

"Well, we got to the house, and it didn't seem, well for lack of a better term, right. There was something about it that seemed off. So, we rang the doorbell, knocked, but when we received no answer, we broke through the door. We split off, as we do now, to clear off certain areas of the house, but we had found nothing. So, I had been the one to take upstairs. I eventually got to a bedroom, and from around the corner, I got a view into the bedroom." I began to choke up, and Aaron noticing this, he kindly took over again.

"Before he could call us up, we, as in myself and the other responding officer, took his silence as an answer and ran upstairs. It certainly wasn't a sight for those faint at heart. Inside was a little girl, age of six, and she was filthy, with tear stains on her face, lying in a bed next to a dead body. Now, we had assumed the missing child would be a bit older, it wasn't an elementary school that had called, but this had to be the child. Though, quite obviously, Dave and I didn't know the little girl, but it appeared the other responder did."

I cut Aaron off before he could go any further. "Alright, that's enough for now. Can we all please try to get in contact with Nikki? I'll call her cell, if Garcia, you could call the front desk at her apartment, as if she's in, and if she could get a hold of her, that would be a huge help. The rest of you, can you text her, at least one message each to get the point across that we are trying to reach her."

When we had all finished are tasks, except for Garcia who was still on hold at the main desk, and had no contact with the girl I see as a daughter, I had begun to truly worry. Suddenly, hope was re-ignited. 

"Thank you so much, goodbye! Alright, guys, I can confirm that Nikki is still at home." She spoke with a smile on her face.

"Okay, so what? Is she ignoring us?" JJ asked, with her head leaned onto one of her palms.

"No, that's the other good news I have to deliver. She was asleep, and her phone had died, she had forgotten to plug it in. The lady at the front desk, a lovely lady, by the way, went to check on Nikki, and can confirm that she looked pretty dead on her feet. Which also confirms what she had said to Rossi earlier, that she wasn't feeling too well. Oh, and she had said that Nikki asked for Aaron Hotchner and David Rossi. So, bam. Garcia out!"

With that, Garcia clicked off and we were left with silence. 

"So, I guess you two are going to head over, check out what's going on?" Emily asked, turning around to face the two of us.

"Yeah, well I don't think there's much else to do. But I promise that as soon as we know what's going on, we'll let you know." I could tell that the team wasn't quite content with this conclusion, but they knew I was right. There simply was nothing else to do, besides comply with Nicoletta's conditions.

"Alright well, because of this, I'm going to place Morgan in charge, and as soon as we land, Dave and I will get off of the plane, then you guys can go to Utah. We will head in, make sure she's alright, then we'll head there as soon as possible. I trust you all to trust Morgan and do what he thinks is best."

I watched as the team all collectively nodded, in which Aaron returned, before looking down to his folded hands that were resting on the small table in front of the both of us. 

It was at this moment, praying to whatever God there may be, that I took out my phone for the last time, hoping that Nicoletta had managed to charge her phone enough to see this text.

Nikki, we all just wanted you to know, We're Here For You.

Hello, all of my valiant readers, I was just wondering if there were any books that any of you would like me to read, whether they be of yours or someone else, I will gladly check it out, and create a reading list of recommendations. 

~Anon_Author48