Chapter 16 : You're the First, and Last

Nicki's POV

I smiled lightly at Reid, sipping my wine. "So, do you wanna tell me what it is? Orrrr?" He asked. I sighed and set my glass down.

"Well, I suppose I should get going. I figured we could have a good night, but no. It's all about me. All about my personal life. Well, I have some news for you and the team. It's my business and you don't need to know." I said angered.

I got up and grabbed my belongings before heading out the door.

Time Skip Morning

Aaron's POV

So, we all got to work this morning, but something was off. The one person who always arrived at the same time every day was not yet here. We all got to work, paperwork mostly.

But a half an hour later, JJ is knocking on my office door. "Come in, JJ," I said, not looking up from my papers.

"Sir, we have a case, but still no Nicki." She spoke, shrugging. I sighed and rubbed my face tiredly.

"Have Rossi go check up on her, she may be sick. I'll brief him on the jet." I said, standing up. She nodded and headed next door to Dave's office. I walked down into the bullpen and through to the conference room.

Rossi's POV

I was informed by JJ that Hotch needed me to head over to Nicki's apartment to check up on her, make sure she's okay. So, naturally, I did. Nicki is like a daughter to me so I'd jump at the opportunity to check up on her.

I scooped my keys off of my desk and headed to Nicki's place. I drove with a slight smile on my face, still nervous despite.

When I arrived, I asked the lady at the front desk if she could tell me what apartment was Nicki's. "Can I ask who you are?" She asked, a country accent playing on her lips.

"I am SSA David Rossi with the FBI. I need to speak to Miss Jerone." I said, showing her my badge. She smiled and nodded.

"She's in 342A. But Agent, she's a good girl. She did nothing wrong." She spoke, the last part as I was walking away.

I made my way around the apartment complex until I eventually found her door. I raised my fist and gently knocked down on it.

I waited a few moments but received no answer. I knocked again, but to no prevail. I was about to knock again when the door opened.

"What do you want, Rossi?!" She exclaimed, a hand on her head. She seemed to be in pain, but when I reached out to touch her head to feel for a temperature, she flinched back.

"I'm sorry, it's just we have a case," I spoke gingerly, keeping my voice down for her head. I didn't want her in any more pain than she already is.

She sighed and held her grip on the doorknob before slowly inching the door closed. "I'm sorry Rossi, I really am. But I doubt I'll be able to fly in my condition, I'm really very sick. You can call me with any information if need be. Bye now." She rushed the last of it out quickly before shutting and locking the door.

I turned around and immediately dialed Hotch. "How is Nicki? Is she alright?" He asked as soon as he answered.

"I think she's sick, just a fever. But no, I don't believe she is alright. She called me Rossi and shut down the case saying she was too sick." I said slowly, eventually making it back into my car.

"Oh. Yeah, that doesn't sound too good. But, nonetheless, we have a case. Please tell me you're at the jet." I hung up then climbed on board, just to see the team sharing worried glances.

I sighed and sat down, unsatisfied. As soon as the jet took off, I got a text. It was from Nicki.

Look, Dave, I'm sorry. That was rude of me, but there is something I couldn't tell you face to face.

Not long after the first, a second was sent.

I have been doing something I really shouldn't be doing. You all will be so disappointed in me.

She didn't text again immediately so I took the time to respond.

What did you do, Nicki? Because I can assure you we will not be disappointed.

It doesn't matter, what's done is done. But tonight I plan on finishing it.

Nicoletta, tell me what you have done and what you are doing to fix it.

Well, I have been going to visit Rodger as Caralyn every chance I get. I got approved from the Warden and I have been doing it in such a way so that you all would not find out.

Nicoletta, what were you thinking!? I swear, did you even think about how this would affect you?

I know Dave, I know. But it's okay, I am finishing this mess tonight. All you have to know, Dave, is that You're the First, and Last person I am telling.

Wait, no. Hold on what are you going to do?

. . .

She didn't reply, but the dots were going. I waited five minutes, nothing.

Ten minutes, nothing.

Fifteen minutes, nothing.

Oh god.