Chapter 5

Tuesday mornings are the hardest mornings of the week. It's slapped right in the beginning of the week, where yesterday was Monday, the next day is NOT Friday, the day after that isn't Friday either. It basically the endless void that seems to consume us all.

However, I actually enjoy Tuesday mornings. The birds chirping in the morning, the smell of cheap coffee brewing from the kitchen, and the screaming of the teenagers as they rush out the door. But after that, absolute silence. Some might be wondering, 'well, isn't that like any other day?' This is where they're wrong.

Every Tuesday morning...Gary leaves on the TV.

Yeah, yeah, it sounds dumb, I know. But I don't know how to turn on the TV. I don't know how to work the remote or use the buttons on the side. I'm thirty-five! Give me a break.

I know it sounds weird that Gary leaves on the TV ONLY on Tuesday, but I think I can spit out an explanation why.

It's because he's stupid

Now that's settled, I can also say why I like Tuesday mornings now. Petra, you know, that Dutch lady, brings these dutch donuts called: 'Oliebol'. It tastes like heaven.

I'm not supposed to eat Oliebol but screw them

I'm not supposed to eat Oliebol but screw them. I'm thirty-five years old. I'm not seven anymore. That's like telling a child they can't eat candy or they can't play with their toys. It's not going to be tolerated.

Based on my observations, I think Petra is attracted to Gary. I don't know why, but she is. However, I don't know if Gary feels the same way. That would be so embarrassing if he didn't.

Speaking of the devil, a knocking sounded on the door.

Gary was still getting dressed because his tie wasn't tied yet, his pants weren't fully on, and his dress shirt was unbuttoned. But that meant nothing to little Ivan. Ivan opened the door and squealed excitingly when he saw Petra.

"Hello, liefje, where is your...father?" Petra crouched at Ivan's eye level and cooed at him with her sweet, broken English voice.

"Ivan-no!" Gary came running towards the door. He was barely dressed. Now imagine Petra's face.

Can anyone imagine how red her face was?

I swear she invented a new shade of bright red.

"Ahh! I should go," Petra covered her eyes with embarrassment. I thought Petra was the most flustered one here, but when I looked at Gary.

Hahaha

Good ol' Gary, the man of his land. 

Gary quickly grabbed the blanket off the couch and wrapped himself around it. "Did-did you need anything, Petra?" He picked up Ivan and gave him a noogie. 

Petra blinked. I don't she understood. "Oh!" Petra hollered as if she remembered something. She pulled out her phone and typed something. 

Then a monotone voice spoke, "I would like to know if you and your children would be interested in going to dinner with me." 

Wait, is this a date? Did she just ask Gary out? But wait, she invited the kids, so does that count?

Gary's expression was priceless. "Of-of course! I'd love-we'd love to! How about 6?"

Petra nodded with excitement. I could tell that she had anticipated this moment days on end.

After Petra said her goodbyes, Gary shut the door and danced around the room like a fool. I think he was hoping for something to happen as well. 

"Are you still dancing around in your underwear?" I sat on the couch. Ivan giggled. Gary stopped and realized he was still not ready for work.

"Daaa!" Ivan chased Gary as he ran back into the bedroom to finish getting dressed. 

***

Taylor and Mackenzie opened the front door abruptly.

"Oh, you're home," Gary jumped.

I don't think I had ever seen Gary jump in surprise before. To be completely honest, it was sort of pitiful yet cute.

Wait ew.

"PETRA LOOKED VERY HAPPY WHEN SHE WAS WATERING HER FLOWERS, WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?" Mackenzie shouted. Gary freaked out "SHHHHhh!"

Taylor just laughed. "Why are you blushing, dad? Is she your girlfriend, or what?"

Basically.

"She isn't my girlfriend, Taylor! And Mackenzie, I don't like that tone." Gary said, still trying to act like a decent parent. I know that he's still a teenager at heart. Even if he's what, forty?

"Then what is she?" Taylor ignored Gary's comment. She leaned on the kitchen counter, eyeing her father. "Dad, why are you wearing nice clothes?"

Gary sighed. "Girls, please get dressed into something nice, we're going out to eat with Petra." Mackenzie and Taylor's eyes' widened. They were dumbstruck.

As Gary said that, Ivan strolled out of the hallway looking like handsome in a can. The girls' jaws dropped. They've never seen their little brother this adorable before. Well maybe when he was an infant, but that's another topic.

"How come I wasn't invited?" I jumped onto the counter and pierced my gaze through Gary. He looked at me in confusion. "Jealous, Ms. Tilly?" He smirked. That idiot.

I'm not jealous of Petra. She could speak Dutch on his lip for all I care! All I love is food and food alone. "Whatever, she's just scared of me since I am an eligible bachelorette," I remarked.

About twenty minutes after Gary told the girls to change, Taylor stumbled out in a wine-red cocktail dress. Her hair was curled and her makeup was done. When I first saw Taylor, she looked like the spitting image of Helen.

Fun fact about Helen, Helen always wore wine-red clothes. I could never figure out why she always wore that color, but my guess is that she swam in a pool of wine with her clothes on every day. It's kind of dumb, but what else could there be? 

Mackenzie joined her sister, wearing a green...what are they called? Oh, a shift dress. It looks basically like a big trash bag with holes for your neck, arms, and legs. Nothing too special. She didn't dress up as 'magnificent' as Taylor, but at least she didn't wear her Green Bay t-shirt.

"You guys...look amazing," Gary said slowly, and not in a hesitant way. He couldn't find the right words to describe how nice they looked.

Well, I think they looked like trash, but I know I can't make fun of what I am.

After all of the dumb compliments, there was a small knock on the door.

***A/N***

Well here's another chapter for you! And hey, I made it on time! You all should be extremely proud of me.

Thanks for reading so far!

Make sure to comment and slap that beautiful star while you leave!

-MissyKZV