Chapter 18

A few months later, Petra moved in with Gary and I. Fortunately, her dog died, so it wouldn't bother me anymore. However, I was glad that Petra moved in, Gary could have somebody to take care of and teach. Someone to see when he comes home from work, other than me eating all of our food. Still, even with a new person living in this house, it was still empty.

When I would walk into Taylor and Mackenize's old bedroom, the cobwebs took over the lifelessness. Yet, there still hung a mirror on the wall, stained with hot pink nail polish and cherry red lipstick from the girls when they were younger. It was like looking at an ancient building, finding artifacts, informing the archeologists that there was once life that lived among here.

I would venture into Ivan's room every once and a while, but rarely, because his vibes were still in there. On the walls, there was still crayon drawings on it, even though Ivan knew he wasn't supposed to draw on the walls. Part of the hardwood floorboards were sticky because when Ivan was young, he would spill his apple juice in here all of the time. Sometimes, I could still imagine Ivan singing gibberish in his room. The melody was offkey, and his pitch was high, but to me, he was the best singer I ever heard, including Taylor and Mackenzie.

I never thought I'd ever miss these kids; they were a huge pain. When they took too long in the shower, and I almost peed on the floor, or when Ivan pulled on my hair and I hissed at him, or the time I bit Taylor because she threw my food out the window when she was younger, I never thought I'd want those memories back. Those were the golden days, the days where I was happy. I just wish I didn't take it for granted, or realize what I had.

It was selfish of me to think that everything should be served on a silver platter when I wanted something. I treated my 'friends' like the dirt I walk on and treated my family like trash that gets thrown away. And when I realized my faults, everything that I cared about was gone.

Somehow, Theodore eventually made up with me. He was laughing and crying when I was apologizing to him, he told me that apologizing wasn't my forte. Which he was right. It was embarrassing for a thirty-five-year-old to make amends with a fifteen-year-old boy. But I deserve embarrassment, because for my whole life, without me knowing, I made the biggest mistake a living being can make, break the ones I love and cherish.

When I close my eyes and imagine, I still pretend that the kids are still here. The atmosphere was so much happier than it is now, even when Gary and Petra are smiling. Deep down, I know that they want to kill themselves because this house isn't a home anymore.

Despite the darkness filling the home, there was still progress. Petra, her English improved abundantly. She can speak in depth to Gary and conversate how much she loves him. Also, apparently, she was a funny person. Once she learned how to speak more English, she was able to tell corny jokes. Surprisingly, Gary learned some Dutch. He's not as good as Petra when she speaks in her second language, but again, it's progress. 

***

Petra was making supper in the oven and stovetop, humming to an American song that she heard on the radio. I never thought Petra would be so good at humming as well. She's basically perfect at everything, which is something that can be obnoxious or adored. Gary finds admirable, I find it slightly annoying, but life would be boring without peculiarities.

"Gary, would you like some seasoning on your lasagna?" Petra, still with her thick accent, called sweetly to Gary.

Gary nodded and smiled, bouncing his eyes onto her from washing the dishes.

Then the phone rang.

Gary picked the phone up "hello?"

Petra continued to add seasoning on the lasagna until Gary said in a shocking tone, "Wait-what, Helen?" Petra placed the pyrex on the counter and turned to Gary, listening to his conversation, which I assumed it was Helen.

Ugh, Helen. That's probably the first time she's spoken to Gary since she took the kids. I wonder what she wants.

"Wha-I don't understand, you don't want our children with you anymore?" Gary asked confusingly, "Are you serious?" Gary said coldly. His brows were furrowed with anger. He kept gesturing furiously.

"So you took me to court to take my kids away from me for full custody, and THEN YOU WANT TO RETURN THEM LIKE THEY'RE SHOES THAT ARE TOO SMALL FOR YOUR  BIG FEET?" Gary's voice grown to the point of yelling.

Wait, Helen doesn't want the kids anymore?

"Helen, why did you even want them back in the first place?" Gary asked full of anger and questions. Seconds later, he got his answer. "You wanted money for me? Child support is supposed to go to the kids, to support our children, NOT FOR YOUR BOOB JOB."

Petra glared at Gary. Well, she was actually glaring at Helen, but Helen wasn't physically there.

Gary slammed the phone down on the table, hanging up on his ex-wife. He looked up at Petra, his future wife, with tears in his eyes. "I'm going to Chicago."

Petra nodded.

Then Gary grinned genuinely, "and I'm not coming back alone."

Petra squealed with excitement. She jumped up onto Gary and screeched with giddy. I almost did too.

Does this mean?

Does this mean that the kids are coming back?

***A/N***

uGH I HATE HELEN.

But...do you know what else I hate more? TWO MORE CHAPtERS TIL THE FINALE. CHAPTER 20 IS THE LAST CHAPtER, YOU GUYS!!! I'm so sad. This was like the first book I made here. I can't believe it's almost over. It would have ended earlier however if I didn't take so much time off, haha.

I'm going to try to post the finale either next week or on the regular schedule, by posting one chapter each Saturday. I don't know, it depends on how productive I am. But the book will be done by February. Anyway, thanks for sticking along with me on this long, long journey. I love you guys so much, bye.

-MissyKZV