Chapter Thirty - The Vampire's Interruption

The Vampire's Interruption

"I still can't believe you did that."

Victoria sat on the edge of Sebastian's desk, watching as he paced around his office. He was still pissed that she'd accepted help from Levina.

"I don't see the big deal."

His head whipped towards her. "Levina never does anything for free. There is always a price. Always."

She paled. The mystic had said she owed her one. But really, what would the sorceress ever expect from her? "I couldn't just let you die."

He rolled his eyes. "I've lived a long time, Victoria. Death does not concern me."

Okay, that pissed her off. "How can you say that? Do you even know what that would do to me?"

He blinked, taken aback. "I didn't think-"

She cut him off, snapping, "That's right you didn't."

"Victoria, I-"

Someone knocked on the door.

"Son of a bitch! Every fucking time!" Sebastian yelled with frustration. "What!?"

Jasper opened the door. "Bad time?"

"What the hell do you think?"

"Bane has arrived. Should I tell him to come back?"

Sebastian stiffened before exhaling slowly. Victoria could have sworn he was counting to ten. "It's about damn time. Get your ass in here, Bane."

Jasper stepped aside as the door opened. Victoria's eyes widened as another massive demon who she could only guess was Bane entered.

Like Sebastian his eyes were gold in color, but darker and with deep laugh lines. Although by his stern face she wondered if the man had ever laughed in his life. A white dress shirt stretched over his broad shoulders and muscular build. She could tell it was expensive and finely tailored, despite that he had a broad sword strapped to his back.

A small witch with light pink hair trailed sulkily behind him. She gave a wide eyed look at Sebastian but didn't otherwise react to his demonic form.

Nicholas entered as well, leaning back against a bookshelf. "Trouble in paradise?"

Sebastian shot him a dark look.

Bane looked between her and Sebastian curiously. "Did we catch you at a bad time?" Damn, his voice was even deeper and rougher than Sebastian's, as if rarely used.

Sebastian gave him a dark glare. "What the hell took you so long?"

Bane shrugged, running a large hand through thick brown hair. The demon appeared positively wild, his hair was unruly and he had a thick beard. His horns were a similar shape as Sebastian's but slightly larger. "Had some trouble..." he grunted.

Standing beside her Sebastian leaned against his desk. "So I've heard."

"I wanted to come sooner, when I heard you'd been poisoned, but unfortunately I was...delayed." Bane's eyes flicked to the witch, who snorted and hitched her chin. Shaking his head Bane gave her a look that was a mixture of both affection and irritation. "My lord, this is Chloe."

Chloe gave a curt nod of her head. "Let's just get this over with."

"Woman, this is my king." Bane warned, his tone dangerous. "You will show respect."

Chloe sniffed. "Of course. I apologize."

Bane's jaw visibly ticked. "You'll have to excuse my witch. I have yet to teach her manners."