pt.eight/

pt.eight/

Twenty-three years ago/
Seoul/

"Auntie, can I go to the park where all the kids play? It's just a few blocks away. I'll be back in an hour—"

"Aura sweetie, you know what me and your mom said about going outside. It's not safe for you."

"B-But..."

"I'll explain when I come back...okay?"

She gave up quickly and nodded not wanting to annoy her aunt. Then walked away with her head hung low.

"Be back before midnight."

"Annie."

"Mother." The young boy sternly looked at his mom.

"I'm going to miss you too." Sakura cooed her darling son. "But you know the trip to the city won't make it possible for me to be home tonight. Kotoko and your father and I will be staying in a hotel. Aura's mother is in the hospital as you know and she doesn't want Aura going outside so make sure to take responsibility for her."

He sighed frustrated, "She can't go with you?"

Sakura shook her head before speaking quietly in her language to her son, "People are still too close-minded my son, I don't want that little girl to feel like an outcast. She is not to go outside. I'm serious Annie."

He sighed yet again but understood.

"I'll be back before you know it." She kissed his cheek before ruffling his hair. He grabbed her tight not wanting to let go. "Remember, Aura is in your care now."

"Aigooo, I understood the first billion times you said it. Now leave, I love you Mom, be safe." but he didn't move an inch.

Sakura chuckled, "Okay! Your father's waiting in the car, he'll make a fit if you hold me up."

He let go reluctantly.

"Aura!" Sakura yelled and quickly the young girl rushed out again, clutching the boy's book in her hands. "Come hug me."

"Okay Auntie Sakura," she ran and jumped into her arms, hugging her neck tightly.

"When I come back I'll bring you something from the city, okay?"

"It's okay, I just want you to come back. I don't need anything, really."

They exchanged a few more words and her son listened in although he was pretending not to be interested.

"Okay, Annie is in charge. He may look the same age as you but he's mature and capable. If anything is wrong he'll handle it. Don't feel like a burden. Don't forget to read your books and study your writing. Just cause your mom isn't here doesn't mean you can be lazy, okay sweetheart?"

"Yes Auntie, I'll make sure he fixes my problems if I have any...b-but"

"Don't worry, I told him to stop speaking Korean to you. He knows you don't understand it, he was just messing with you. Annie is very good at English, almost better than I am."

"You know English and Korean?" She turned and asked impressed.

"And Japanese, and also a little bit of French."

"Wow," she said in awe, "I barely know English."

"Yeah, I can tell." he muttered in annoyance.

"Okay, you two talk amongst yourselves, I'm leaving,"