Chapter 14

*1 month later*

Azora sat in her carriage staring at her fingernails and yawning. Festivities and celebrations were going on outside, but she did not care. Many Ladies and Courtiers were crying outside at the departure of the 'beloved' Lady Madeline, but Azora could only smile in triumph.

She turned her head to see outside, and saw children dancing around with pink ribbons trailing behind them, and Lady Madeline standing on the gangplank up to the ship she was about to depart on. She was waving to the crowd, and blowing kisses to Kalian, who blew kisses back.

Lady Madeline turned her eyes to Azoras direction, a glare in her eyes, but as she watched Azora watching her, she smirked, placing her hand on her back, arching it and rubbing her belly. Her pregnancy was now big enough to be seen through the thick folds of her dress and she took much pride in it.

Azora snapped her head away from the scene, ordering the carriage driver to move on. She could not bare it.
***

It seemed as though Azora could never catch a break from court gossip. It had been only one day since her troublesome friend had left, that another person was arriving.

That person was her mother in law.

Azora had recieved the news as she was in her chambers, writing down in her journal. She huffed in annoyance when it was announced by the maid that she was required to be there for the Princess Dowagers arrival.

She wiped her hands on her skirts and hurried downstairs to stand next to her husband on the front doorsteps.

The rest of the royal court stood as close as the could to the action, leaving a corridor going up the steps to the front door.

A navy blue carriage with the royal families emblem on the door, pulled up the front garden inside the walled palace.

A short elegant lady with blonde greying hair stepped out of the door, wearing all black. She was still in mourning two years after the death of her husband. Her name was Lady Elenayor Jude Thermalde, Princess Dowager, and Azoras mother in law. She had moved to an estate in the countryside when the old king had passed away.

King Kalian stepped forward,  bowing and offering his hand to his aging mother as she climbed the steps, but she ignored him,making her way right past him to her daughter in law.

Azora curtseyed.
"Your highness, to what do we owe the pleasure of your visit."

She straightened and looked past her mother in law to her husband, who stood gobsmacked at his mothers dismission of him. She looked back down at the prestigous lady in front of her, who stood examining her, before announcing:
"I shall love to join you for luncheon in your chambers this afternoon when I am settled. "

With that, the older woman made her way into the castle.
***
Azora was sat in her chair, small meals and cakes were placed on small side tables aroumd the room. Her mother in law sat oppisite to her, looking her up and down once again.

"Your highness." Azora began.
"How has your day been?"
She coughed awkwardly.

"I shall get straight to the point." The former queen placed her food down,folding her hands in her lap.
"I have heard rumours of a new grandchild of mine, and I heard these rumours months ago yet you still look as thin as a stick."

Azora went bright red, and looked down at her lap.
"It is not my child."
She whispered.

Elenayor sighed and rubbed her forehead.
"I should have known. I shall have to have a word to that son of mine."

She stood up, and made her way to the door, but Azora stood up as well, grabbing Elenayors arm and collapsing to her knees.
"Please I beg of you my lady, please do not mention this to your son!"

Elenayor shook her off her arm, causing to Azora to collapse in a heap on the floor.
"For heavens sake woman, get up! I shall talk to my son and you shall not stop me."
And with that she walked out of the room, leaving Azora to wait in her room, anxious.
***
Just as Azora suspected, her husband payed a visit that night. She heard him slam the hallway doors, demanding the maids to tell her where she was before her own door swung open.

He was seething with anger, and she watched as his chest rose and fell as he breathed heavily before he suddenly moved towards her.

She stood up in fright, grabbing her robe and wrapping it over night gown.

"How could you tell my mother?" He asked, his voice deep and stern.

"I did not tell her." Azora replied her voice as equally stubborn as her husbands, but as he moved towards her, she moved backwards in fear until she felt the firm wall behind her. Her breathing began to quicken as he got closer, scared of what he was going to do, and he got closer until their noses were almost touching, and she could feel his warm breath on her face.

His eyes searched her face,and his arm slippped around her waist slowly, causing Azora to press her body against his.

Her body ached for his touch, and her lips began to tingle in anticipation as he looked down at hers, and leaned closer.

Azora began to close her eyes, but something in her felt this was wrong, and she shouldnt do it, that he loved another. She placed her palms on his chest, and slowly pushed him off.

As she ran out of the room, she did not notice the warm tears that rolled down her cheeks.