Chapter 18

The court was whispering among themselves, and Kalian craned his neck in order to listen to their theories. Many of them glared st him, murmuring the words poison, and assasination.

Kalian couldnt help but chuckle to himself. Did they think he was an idiot? Why would he poison his own wife? It would just make him look extremely guilty.

An assistant to the royal doctor scuttered through the door towards the herald and whispered something in his ear. The whole court went silent, trying to listen in on the conversation thay had the herald reeling in shock, but alas, nothing was heard.

The skittish doctors assistant hurried away,and the Herald cleared his throat and everyone payed close attention to his announcment.

His voice was shaky as if what he was about to say would be offensive, and he had to clear his throat a couple of times to control himself.

"It seems that we have reached a conclusion to this session, the jury has heard the news of what has happened to her majesty, and has had to think very hard about their decision."

Kalian rolled his eyes at the Heralds fancy wording, and how he dragged on the announcement more than what was neccesary.

"The Jury has decided that the Queen is unfit to rule-"
He was cut off by the crowd, some rejoicing and some protesting.

Kalian could feel his stomach flip. Why did he feel like protesting his decision?

The herald seemed to grow angry.
"Silence!"
They obeyed.

"The Queen is unfit to rule for a period of 9 months, as it seems she is with child."

The court went eerily silent.
Kalian felt his stomach flip again.
Before he knew it, he was marching out of the throne room in the direction of his wifes chambers.

¤¤¤

Azora placed a hand on her abdomen lovingly, her hand shaking.

She was pregnant.

She let out a shaky breath and closed her eyes. The doctor had not told her yet, but she knew.

Partly because she could hear her husband protesting with the doctor on how he was not told sooner.

"Well can I at least go see her!"
Azora listened intently to their muffled voices.

"Im afraid not your highness, you know full well that she must be in seclusion from the outside world for these next nine months."

She heard Kalian huff, and his footsteps as he stormed away. The royal doctor came in, and smiled seeing that she was finally awake.

"Your majesty, you're  awake! I shall have to go fetch-"

"There is no need for that good sir." A voice pronounced. Azora twisted her head to see where the voice was coming from, and was shocked to see her mother in law standing there with a proud smile on her wrinkled face.

She quickly made her way to Azoras bedside, grabbing her face between her two hands and kissing her on the forehead loudly.

"Congratulations! I knew you had it in you!"

Azora furrowed her brow confused, and the Dowager Queen moved away and sat down on a chair.

"I shall finally have a grand- well legitimate- grandchild! And we will finally have an heir to the throne! Isnt that exciting?!"

"What if it is a girl?"

The dowager queen paused, and thought for a while.
"There will always be other children."
Azora felt like laughing out loud. There would be no other children. She knew it.

She smiled, standing up.
"I shall go organise your confinement chambers now!"
She excitedly rushed out of the room.

Azora sighed. She had forgotten about confinement.  It was a tradition that the Queen should spend her pregnancy and give birth with no one but a few midwives and her ladies in waiting. No men would be permitted to visit her during that time. It all sounded rather dull.

¤¤¤

A/N Sorry that this chapter was short and boring 😂. It was just a filler to tell what was happening and what is to come... 😈
I hope you are enjoying and please vote!