Chapter 24

Azora caressed the tiny babies cheek with adoration and she felt her heart swell up with love, and she felt like if anything touched her child, she would destroy it.

"Alexander"
She quietly cooed.

He looked to where the noise was coming from, his large green eyes focusing on her face. He waved his tiny limbs around the place and made gurgling noises, and Azora giggled.

She reached into his cot and picked him, holding him in her arms and sitting down on the stool that was in his nursery. She was just getting comfortable and was about to drift off when a woman with a large bosom entered the room, curtseying and taking the babe from Azoras arms.

"Excuse me your majesty, it is the princes feeding time."

Azora watched helplessly as her son was taken away from her and fed by another woman. She stood up and left the nursery, feeling useless. She did not know how her mother stood watching all her children being weened by another. Then again,  her mother was a cold human being, who relished in the fact that she did not need to work, or even feed her own children.

She wandered aimlessly around the gardens, picking flowers and pulling their petals off in the warm sunlight. She was in a daze and did not realise how far she had walked. She began to not even notice where she was going and ended up getting leaves in her hair from low hanging branches.

All of a sudden, she felt her foot hit the hard stone of the fountain, and ankle twisted as she fell into it. Thankfully it was shallow, but she found herself being pulled up by none other than the man she was trying to avoid.

He looked rather dishevelled, his hair messy and he had dark purple circles under his eyes. She could tell he had not slept.

She blushed as she realised that he held her around the waist, and their faces were rather close. Their noses were inches away from touching,  and their breathing was heavy and in sync.

She coughed and pushed herself away from him.
"Thank you kalia- my lord. "
She corrected herself. She did not want him to think her familiar with him. She was embarrassed.

She walked away as quickly as she could, her head hung low in shame.

"Wait, Azora! I can-"
He called out to her but his voice faltered when he realised there was no use, she had not heard him.

But she had heard him,  but she could not bring versed to face him. She damned herself for not being able to say it back. She cursed under her breath, and walked as fast as she could toward her room.

But why could she not say it? She had longed for him to tell her he loved her, but as soon as he said it she froze.  She watched his facial expression turn from one of all consuming love,  to embarrassment as she stared at him, frozen. Her eyes were wide, her mouth hung open and all she could say was
"I'm sorry"
Before she called the nursery maid to take their son away.

Azora gritted her teeth as she remembered. She wanted to say it,  she really did but she couldn't bring herself to say it.

She flung herself on her bed and sobbed. Why was this upsetting her so much? Everything was stressing her so much. She decided to sleep on it.
¤¤¤
The next morning Azora felt refreshed. She did not think about her anxiety from the day before, instead she got ready for the morning, splashing water on her face and letting the maids dress her. She did not let them cover her hair, instead she left it in just a simple plait down her back. She did not intend to talk to anyone of importance today.

She made her way towards the gardens, her son swaddled in blankets and nestled in her arms. He was awake, but he was peaceful. A nursery maid followed behind, ready to take the baby away if needed. Azora walked spent her time stilling in the frosty morning air. The gardens were not busy that morning, most of the courtiers were in court.

She noticed a figure sitting a bench,  seeming deep in thought, and after she got closer she realised it was her husband. She hurried along the path,  trying to pretend she hadn't seen him but it was to no avail.

"Azora!"
He exclaimed.

She took a deep breath before turning around, plastering a fake smile on her face.

"Your majesty."
She curtsied, being careful not to drop her son, before turning around to continue walking, but she did not get very far.

"Azora, I need to talk to you."

She turned back around, and opened her mouth to speak, but as she did, the baby Alexander began to scream, and she bounced him, trying to shoosh him. She placed him in the nursery maids arms.
"Please take him."
The maid left.

"What is you require me for, your majesty?"
Azora kept her face void of emotion.

"I was hoping you could warm my bed tonight"
Kalian joked, a cheeky grin on his face.

Azora felt her stomach turn over,  she had to admit it was tempting, but she felt rather insulted. She clenched her jaw and curtseyed.
"If that is all, my lord."

She turned on her heel, but felt her hand gently be taken by two warm hands encasing her own. She turned back around, she was feeling rather dizzy by now, and blushed as she realised how close she was to her husband.

"Have you thought about what I have said?"
He whispered.

She shook her head slowly, trying to avoid his gaze. She could not admit that she had pondered it constantly, and caused her much grief.

"Please, tell me what I must do-"

"I do not think it is anything to do with you."
She Interrupted.
"I just do not know, I cannot explain it."

She was so flustered she was stumbling over her words. Kalian laughed at her affectionately, and he removed one of his hands from her own and placed it on her chin. He studied her face, with a joking smirk.

"I guess im just going to have to win you over, aren't I?"
He chuckled again.

Azora instinctly placed a soft kiss on his cheek and quickly broke away. She skipped along the pathway, but looked over her shoulder to see her stupid husband, his hand on his cheek and staring affectionately at her. She laughed out loud, he was too loveable.