Chapter 20

Dearest Azora,
I do not even know if I have the right to call you my dearest friend anymore, and I am ashamed of my actions.
My father is a wise man, and how he has dealt with my situation, has humbled me, and I have had a lot of time to think back on what I have done.
First I must congratulate you on your soon to be born child. I hope that God blesses you with a son that will rule the Kingdom just as well as his mother, and does not take to much after his father.
I hope one day you will forgive me and your child can meet its half sister.
My beautiful daughter was born this morning, and even though he was determined to hate her, my father is enamoured with his grandaughter. He spends every waking hour with her.
I have named her Ysabella, after you, the mother she deserves.
I do not expect a congratulations, I only pray that one day you will find it in your heart to forgive me.
I also wish to announce my engagement to Count Ulises of Median. I hope you will be as relieved as I am to know that he is not an old man with six kf his own children. He is the only man willing to take me.
Best wishes and all my love,
Lady Madeline Johanna Thermalde of Jermonsa

Azora felt her heart soar and her eyes tear up.

She had already forgiven Maddy, and she knew she was stupid for doing it, but she loved Maddy with all her heart, and she could never hate her. She already loved her Maddys daughter as if she were another neice, and she had not even met her!

And the news she was engaged! Azora giggled to herself knowing that she was mainly happy because she knew Maddy would never try to steal another womans husband again, but the fact that a count wished to marry her, even though she had a daughter was grest news!
She hoped he was not a horrible man. Azora knew her best friend did not need a man to control and tell her what to do, she needed a quiet, patient man, who helped her through her tantrums.

Azora was so happy she hardly knew what to write!
She moved to a desk and loaded up her quill with ink, and was just about to write the first letter, when her mother in law interupted her.

"If you will excuse me, I think I am in need of some fresh air."
She seemed pale and out of breath.

"You are excused, my lady"

The dowager queen smiled faintly and rushed to the closest garden, whilst Azora returned to her letter.

My Dearest Madeline,
You need not pray any longer for me to forgive you, as I already have! I cannot stay mad at you for long, even if you haad betrayed me.

I hope that your new husband is kind to you, and if he ever hurts you, you should not hesitate but stay here, I will ways welcome you with open arms.

I already see your daughter as my own niece, even though I have not met her, vut I know she will be as beautiful as her mother.

I thank you for your prayers for my babys gender, but I ask you to pray as much as you can, because if this child is a boy, I must just save my marriage, and our countries.
All my love for you,
Queen Azora Ysabella Rose Noverian.

Azora smiled in sastifaction as she signed and sealed her letter, and turned to give it to the maid, when she noticed everyone was gone.

They had left her bedchambers, and crouded around the doorway from the withdrawing room, to the outside world, and azora curiously made her way over there.

A poor maid was surrounded tby the curious ladyies and wet nurses, looking rather overwhelmed, and she cleared her throat to silence everyone.

Everyone turned to look at her with fearful looks in their eyes.

"What is going on?"
She demanded

One lady piped up.
"Your majesty I am sorry to infor-"

She was interupted.
"I do not think that her majesty should be told right now, especiaally in her fragile consition. She is already six months along, we cant lose the babe now!"

"Well I think her majesty would get worried when she realises rather quickly her own mother in law has dissapeared!"
Another argued back.

Azora went white, and her voice went small.
"What has happened to the dowager?"
Tears began to well, and her stomach knotted.

The maid stepped forward.
"I am afraid to inform you that the dowager Queen was found on the ground in the courtyard this afternoon-"

"What! Is she alright? Is a doctor tending to her?"

The maid went quiet.
"Im afraid to inform that- that the dowager queen has died of a heart attack this afternoon."

Azora could no longer hear what was going on, she heard the faaint cries of the woman around the room, she saw the room began to tilt and then-

She saw black.