Chapter 7

Valerio left me to get settled in, but after awhile I was starting to get hungry.

I hadn't had anything to eat since yesterday morning, but even then I didn't really get to eat. I shook the thought away and decided to head downstairs to grab something.

Still in awe of this mansion, I looked around as I descended the steps. The high ceilings, and the massive chandelier in the center, it was all breathtaking. I wasn't paying attention to anything else, and that's when I tripped.

Before I could hit the bottom stair, a pair of large, strong arms wrapped around me. I looked up to see Theodore himself.

"Sorry," I said with a small blush.

He chuckled and helped me to my feet.

"It's alright, are you okay?" He asked.

I looked down and realized I still looked like a mess.

"Yes, thank you for catching me. I guess I should have been paying more attention," I blushed out of embarrassment.

His eyes scanned over my body, and I noticed he seemed concerned.

"I came down here to grab a snack," I explained further.

"Why don't you go clean up while I make us something to eat?" He suggested. I was immediately hesitant to accept his offer.

"Really, that's kind of you to offer but I don't want to bother you," I waved him off.

He's already provided me with the chance to start over, and even more in allowing me to stay here.

I'm not about to push my luck by turning him into my maid.

"Well it's good I wasn't asking then. Noelle go upstairs and clean up, I don't mind cooking for you. I was just about to make a meal anyway," he shrugged.

Reluctantly, I nodded and turned to go upstairs. I felt his eyes on me until I was no longer in his line of sight.

Entering my room, I groaned at the realization that showering would be a huge struggle with my injured back. I have no idea how to handle my wounds, and Aurelia never said anything about it.

Fuck.

How was I supposed to clean up without further injuring myself? I know it's going to hurt the second the water grazes my back.

Ring.

The phone Aurelia gave me started buzzing. I immediately answered and spoke first.

"Hello?"

Please be Aurelia.

"Noelle? Did you make it okay?" She asked, sounding concerned.

I let out a relived sigh that it was indeed Aurelia.

"Yes, I'm here and I'm okay. Does Daniel know I'm gone?" I addressed the elephant in the room.

There was a long pause before she spoke.

"He sent out pack warriors this morning. For your safety you need to stay within those pack walls. Do you hear me?"

I inhaled sharply. I thought my life would change.

"Of course, I'll stay here," I promised. That seemed to put her at ease some, and it made my mind race.

"Is my brother with you?" She asked.

I shook my head even though she couldn't see.

"No, he's downstairs making us lunch," I almost laughed at how funny the image was. A big brute of a man cooking.

She chuckled on the other end.

"My brother cooking? What has this world come to?" She asked jokingly.

I could tell she was stressed, as was I, but she was trying to remain calm.

"Where's Daniel now?" I asked.

"He's out with most of the pack, searching for you."

I gasped, his whole pack was looking for me? Was I far away enough?

I couldn't bring myself to ask more questions about him. It hurt knowing that he was looking for me now as if he cared.

"Do you know how I'm supposed to shower with my bandages?" I changed the subject.

"Teddy can help you. I'm more of a medical person but he knows enough to help you. Just ask him and I'm sure he'll be more than willing to help," she assured me.

I adored his nickname.

Teddy.

"Has he contacted my family at all?" I asked, scared to hear what he's done.

"He went there earlier but he couldn't smell you. From what I heard no one was hurt," she said slowly, as if trying to keep me from breaking.

I let out another breath of relief.

"Noelle I mean this. You cannot, under any circumstances contact your family. Don't even go near them. If Daniel finds you, he won't hesitate to hurt you," she warned.

I felt my happiness melt away at that, and instead an overwhelming pain filled me.

"How can he get off on hurting his mate? Why is he like this?" I softly cried.

There was a long pause, and I felt not even Aurelia knew the answer.

"I'm so sorry Noelle. I wish things were different, but we have to play with the cards we're dealt with. I've never seen Daniel act so brutal before," she whispered near the end.

My eyebrows raised at that.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Daniel has always wanted a mate, it's the one thing he wished for. We all assumed he would care for her deeply, but the second he whipped you that night, Jasmine and I knew something within him snapped."

Did I make Daniel a monster?

He was so sweet at first, but the second I went against him he just snapped.

"Jasmine knows?"

"Yes, I told her a little after you left," she answered.

A part of me missed Daniel. Why couldn't he have been the nice mate people perceived him to be?

"Aur-"

"I have to go, I can smell Daniel. He's maybe a few minutes away. Be safe, I'll call you soon."

The line went dead before I could even respond.

It was a lot of information to process, but I had to find out eventually.

"Noelle?"

I looked up to see Theodore staring at me.

"Was that Aurelia?" He asked, gesturing to the phone.

"She called to inform me about Daniel," I said while trying to hold back my sobs.

"I'm sorry Noelle, for everything that little prick did," he growled.

I wasn't sure how to respond. I was hurt that Daniel changed once he met me.

"Aurelia said you could help me with my bandages. I don't know a thing about changing them and it would be greatly appreciated if you would teach me," I asked.

He offered me a small smile and nodded.

"I'll need you to take your top off and lay on your stomach. I'll leave to grab some supplies," he said.

I nodded and slowly undressed my upper half. Taking a deep breath, I laid down on my stomach and waited for Theodore.

Why won't the pain go away?