Chapter 14

Three days had passed.

I had been stuck in this house for three days. Theo completely shut me down if I so much as mentioned going outside.

Aurelia has left yesterday, and now I felt more alone. At least I got to talk with her, Theo sits in his study and works all day long. Valerio has been more distant since the argument him and Aurelia had, so it was just me.

I watched tv, I read books, I did anything I could to pass the time.

Sometimes I even snuck onto the balcony across the house to look at the stars and count them. Pathetic, isn't it?

I felt like I was a princess sneaking out against her father's orders. I wasn't allowed to step foot outside for fear of the evil king coming for me.

By the time noon rolled around, Theo had finally stepped out of his office.

I smelled his shaving cream before I saw him, and when I saw him, my heart flipped like it was competing for a gold medal.

"Did you eat anything?" Theo asked while grabbing some cereal out of the cabinet. I shook my head to obtain come clarity, and I nodded.

He hummed in response and downed his cereal in seconds. I raised my eyebrows and gave him a look.

"Long night," he shrugged.

I nodded and looked out the window. Resting my head on my hand, I sighed longingly. I didn't think I'd miss going outside this much.

Daniel was still searching for me, and I had no doubt that he'd never stop. Searching for me is his mission now, and until he finds me, he won't ever stop. He'll wreak havoc to find me.

"Has Aurelia called you at all?" I asked. I knew there was a slim chance she'd be able to contact any of us right now, but I needed to hear something.

Theo shook his head slowly.

"It's risky for her to make any calls. You have to understand that Daniel is on high alert right now. Everyone who works for him is a suspect in your disappearance," he reminded me.

I suddenly felt selfish and foolish for even asking.

I looked down to the floor and hung my head in almost shame. Theo let out a sigh and approached me. I hadn't expected him to get so close, so when I felt his rough hand gently lift my chin up, I was awestruck.

His eyes bore into mine, and his touch sent shock waves through my body.

Kiss me.

Touch me.

Want me.

The thoughts appeared in my head before I could even start to think about what I was wishing for.

"I know that you want to feel free again. Right now you have so many people working to make that dream come true for you, but you just have to be patient, okay?" There was no malice or chastising in his words. He was being kind and comforting.

Those words actually put me at ease just a little.

He was so close to me now. How is it possible for someone to smell so delicious?

He smelled masculine and warm and comforting. Everything you could ever want in a man.

"I know, and I'm grateful for everything you've done for me. It's just that I want to go outside. I want to go outside and not fear that one of his men will spot me," I whispered.

I didn't want him to move away.

It was like an invisible bubble surrounded us and slowed everything down so we could savor every moment. As slow as time was going, I wanted it to go slower.

I wanted to stay like this forever.

"We're going to keep you safe, Noelle. If need be we'll fight his men. There's no way that he's taking you back to his pack, I refuse to let that happen," he swore.

I inhaled sharply and simply stared into his eyes.

Why do I feel this way about Theo?

I wanted to pout as his hand moved away from my chin, but his hand was suddenly on my lower back, pulling my to him.

My lips parted, and I gazed up at him through a curtain of lashes.

"Theo," I whispered, tentatively placing my hand on his chest. He growled lowly at the action, and I found myself scared and wanting to move my hand.

Before I could fully pull my hand away, his large, gentle hand grabbed my wrist and kept it on his pectoral.

It hit me then, his wolf was taking over. Those green eyes became darker, and I knew he wasn't in control. Theo gazed at me with a hint of curiosity in his eyes, and I felt his hand creep up my back and start to wrap my hair in his fist.

He pulled down gently, as so not to hurt me, and kept pulling until my neck was exposed. I knew this was wrong, but my god did it feel right.

My breaths were coming out in small, quick pants now. I was so nervous and excited to know what to do. I didn't even know how to act. He bent his head down and trailed his nose along my neck and collarbone, inhaling my scent. I bit my lip and clenched my thighs together as he growled again.

"Mine."

That one growl set my insides on fire.

He released my hair and cupped my cheek. This time, his eyes weren't quite as dark. I knew his Lycan was still present, but I also knew that Theo was there too.

"Th-theo?" I stuttered nervously.

"Yes, Noelle?" The way he said my name was simply intoxicating.

I gulped and continued staring into his eyes.

"Why do I feel like this?" I asked, scared to hear his response.

"You're my mate," he purred.

I feeling of panic erupted in my stomach. Theo is my mate? How could I have been so stupid?

This whole time I've felt this way about him because he's my second chance mate? I've heard rumors about having second chance mates, but I never imagined that I'd have one.

"I think I'd like to be alone right now," I said lowly, backing away from him.

It was like a switch was flipped. His hands left me, making me feel cold and alone, and his eyes held no emotion. He looked at me for a second longer before aggressively turning around and leaving.

I heard the slam of his office door before my emotions overwhelmed me, and I felt tears spring to my eyes.

Theo is my second chance.