Chapter 13

It had been a few hours since I heard the gory details of Dahlia's death.

I had left Aurelia alone and decided to hide out in my room. I wasn't sure how to feel about this. It explained why he shut down the second I mentioned his mate, but why did I still feel such a pull to him?

It was the kind of pull that made my wolf wine in agony.

It made her miss Daniel, even though he only wanted to cause us pain. It only made me miss my family. They had to be worried sick about me.

I tried to shake the thought away. Right now I have to focus on myself. As much as I want to call my family and let them know I'm okay, I have to keep them safe. And they're only safe if I stay away from them.

Three quick knocks on the door broke me out of my thoughts. I turned in time to see Valerio opening the door.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. Why is Valerio in my room?

He stood there awkwardly, staring right at me. It was like he had something to say, yet he didn't know how.

"Did Aurelia say anything to you?" He finally spit out.

I bit my lip, contemplating whether or not I should say anything. If I come clean, he'll know that I was eavesdropping. But is lying to him any better?

"She didn't have to, I heard most of it," I said hesitantly, gauging his reaction. The only response I got was a small nod.

My heart went out to Valerio. He lost his child and his mate because of a rogue. How could anyone keep going after something like that? The pain of being rejected every damn day wouldn't make things any easier.

Valerio is a good guy, that's something I knew the second I saw him. He may be a tough guy, but he loves Aurelia.

Even a blind man could see that.

"Oh. I'm sorry you had to hear-"

"It's okay," I stopped him before he could apologize further. If anything I should be the one apologizing.

He silently stood there for a few more seconds before turning around and walking out of the room. I wanted to go console him, but how do you console someone who's lost everything?

I could only hope that in the future they try to start anew.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
This chapter is going to be super short for a couple reasons.
1. The next chapter is my main focus and it's going to start escalating pretty quickly
2. I haven't been able to write anything lately and I wanted to publish something for you guys
I'll have a new chapter up very soon, thank you for your patience!
Hugs and Kisses,
~Piper