Chapter 10

My eyes widened as soon as those words left her lips.

Her and Valerio are mates?

"But he was so angry to hear that you were coming?"

A sad smile formed on her features. Aurelia looked down at the ground and let loose a sigh.

"It's a long story, but yes, I can imagine he would be angry," she spoke. I wanted to know the full story, but it was obvious she didn't want to tell me. I had pushed her enough already.

"We don't have to talk about it anymore, I'm sorry I pushed you," I apologized.

She nodded with a half smile and then continued towards Theo's office.

Aurelia gave a few quick knocks before Theo opened the door. He smiled and embraced her with a hug that easily showed how much he had missed her.

He only spared me a small glance before turning away and gesturing for us to come inside.

My shoulders fell slightly as I realized he was still ignoring me. Was I really that bad?

"I'm glad you're here, Aurelia," he said while strictly looking at her. He didn't even acknowledge my presence. I wonder if Aurelia noticed it too.

"It took a little bit longer than I planned," she said while taking a seat opposite him, while I did the same. He'll have to look at me eventually if I'm sitting next to her, right?

His eyes narrowed in confusion.

"Is Alpha Lincoln giving you trouble?" He asked.

She nodded slowly and thoughtfully.

"He's upset that his mate hasn't been found. Honestly the first few days were nothing compared to how he is now. He has his men searching as far as they can without crossing territories," she explained.

"Surely he's getting tired of searching. Do you think he'll call off the search soon?" Theo asked.

"He's not looking to proclaim his mate dead. His wolf can sense that she's still alive. As long as he has that hope, there's nothing that will stop him."

The words she spoke kept replaying in my head. He'll never stop looking for me.

"So what's the best course of action? There's no way to throw his wolf off her trail. Eventually he'll start crossing territories to find her," Theo stated.

"Do you really think he'll be that desperate?" Aurelia asked with a hint of skepticism.

"I think there's nothing in this world that would stop an alpha from finding his runaway mate," he said while finally giving me another glance.

Whether or not he meant to hurt me by calling me a runaway mate, it made me feel weak and stupid. I don't think I deserve to simply be called a runaway. Daniel is a monster who physically and verbally abused me.

"I agree, that means you'll have to beef up your security around here. Alpha Lincoln has no idea that she's anywhere near here, but just to be safe I think she needs someone to be with her," Aurelia suggested.

I looked to Theo, silently begging him to say something to me.

"All of my men are busy. They don't have time to watch her all day," he scoffed as if she offended him.

Aurelia raised a brow at him in a scolding sort of way.

"Well then I guess you should watch her. After all, you sit in your office all day. It might do you some good to have someone to talk with," she shrugged.