Chapter 15

I don't know what to do.

How is this even possible? Theo is my second chance mate? A Lycan is my mate.

Lycans are complete beasts. How the hell is a mere wolf compatible with a beast? I ran away from my abusive mate only to run into the arms of another?

How did my life turn out like this? I thought I'd meet my mate, get married, have pups, have a traditional life. Nothing about this is traditional. Not only is Theo my second chance, but now I'm his.

He already had a mate, and she wasn't a bad person like Daniel is. Daniel is a man who doesn't deserve to be mated to anyone, and Dahlia was a poor soul who met a tragic fate. What the fuck am I supposed to do? I've been sitting in my bed for about an hour now, and I couldn't find the answer to that question.

What do I do now?

Why did I push Theo away?

His touch made me feel shock waves all over my body. One touch from him gave me hope that everything would turn out okay, and a feeling that he'd protect me from anything that could ever cause me harm.

It all makes so much sense now.

All of those touches he gave me before gave me that same electric thrill throughout my body. All along he's been my mate. The second chance I had been waiting for was right under my nose, and I pushed it away.

I denied him.

Why would I deny him?

Why would the words that fell from my lips go against everything my mind and body were saying?

The empty look in his eyes is something that will never leave me. He looked so dead inside. I had hurt him. I never wanted to hurt him, and just when I could have eased some of his pain, I did just the opposite.

Sighing, I held my head in my hands and let out a small cry.

What's wrong with me?

As much as I wanted to run to him and claim him as mine, I couldn't replace Dahlia. Having a mate who's horrible is one thing, but their future was stolen by an evil, miserable wolf. I can't ever give him what she could.

A loud bang made me jolt off of the bed.

I looked around frantically, trying to find the source.

Was that a gun shot? I heard the sound of someone shrieking, and I was quick to run out of the room towards the chaos.

It took me out onto the terrace of the guest bedroom. A female pack member laid on the ground, staring up at Valerio, who happened to be holding a gun.

Only the gun wasn't pointed at her, he was holding it to his own temple.

"Oh Valerio, what are you doing?" I asked softly.

I looked behind me to see Theo and a couple of the pack warriors running in. They stopped as soon as they saw the situation.

"It's over for me. I can't live knowing what I've done," he cried. I started growing desperate, he was going to do something stupid if no one said anything.

I gulped nervously and took a step towards him.

"Stay back or I will shoot!" He growled at me. I put a hand out as a sign of me surrendering to his demand.

"Valerio, if you put the gun down we can talk." My voice came out shaky and hesitant. I just have to keep him talking. I have to remind him why he has to live.

"I can't talk anymore. I don't have anything left to say," he said defeatedly.

I shook my head slowly and tried to reassure him.

"You have so much to live for. Aurelia needs you Valerio, she's your mate," I emphasized.

Tears were steadily trickling down his face.

"My mate doesn't even want me. I killed our baby, it's unforgivable," he stated with such melancholy.

Valerio didn't kill his baby, a rogue took that from him, and in doing so, he's taken away his life as well.

"I know that you've suffered an unforgettable tragedy. I can't even begin to understand what you're going through, but Aurelia is still alive, and as long as she's alive there is still hope. I don't know where the future will take you, but I do know that Aurelia loves you so much Valerio. You can see it in the way she looks at you."

He released a sob filled with regret and longing.

I heard one of the men move behind me, and I knew they were going to try and restrain Valerio.

Looking back at them, I shook my head sternly. If one of them makes a wrong move, Valerio will be dead. I didn't doubt for a moment that he would shoot.

"Do you believe in second chances?" He whispered.

I looked him right in the eyes as I contemplated my answer.

"I believe that second chances are rare. They don't come everyday, but there is always hope for a second chance, and if you have even the slightest possibility of getting another shot, you shouldn't waste it," I said slowly and calmly.

This time he released a breath, and he seemed calmer.

"I love her so goddamn much," he cried as he dropped the gun.

Everyone let out a sigh of relief, and all of the attention went to Valerio.

Theo went to him and kicked the gun away. He did something I never thought I'd see him do. He hugged Valerio.

The two men stood there hugging, and the two behind me ushered me and the other girl out of the room. It all happened so quickly, and I was having trouble processing all of it. Did I really just talk down Valerio from killing himself? I briskly walked to my room and shut the door behind me, sliding down to sit against the door.

I was breathing heavily with an open mouth, still trying to understand why he'd do that.

I knew one thing was for sure.

Aurelia needs to come back. Now.