37

~*Woofless*~

I know Benja is mad; I would be too if someone interrupted a moment like that. My gaze moves to M'ayris. How long has she been interested in dating? Let alone Benja? Have I been oblivious this whole time?

M'ayris was the first to break the silence the three of us had on our returning walk. "If you mention one word about what you saw to my brother, you're going to wish you were never born a man." Benja audibly winces behind me as the small girl flashes me a glare. M'ayris is also mad. Good to know.

"Glad to see you haven't changed since I left, M'ayris." I flash her a smile before pulling up the hood of my jacket and hunching my shoulders as we near the camp. It's been a while since I last shaved, and my beard will get me in a whole lot more trouble than having incorrect posture.

"How often do you do this?" Benja asks quietly as the three of us duck behind a rock near the edge of the newer recruits' campsite.

"About two or three times a month," M'ayris says nonchalantly as a group of seven-year-olds run passed, laughing as an older-recruit-turned-instructor tells them a joke about the admirals. "Mi'kai, Woof, and I like to sneak out of camp a lot more than we should. It's nice to take a break every once-in-a-while." When the group passes, M'ayris motions for us to follow her as she walks confidently through a terrified crowd of five-year-olds who were just recruited, murmuring reassuring things and giving out little hugs as she passes. M'ayris would make a good mother. I think to myself as Benja and I weave through the crowd behind her with less elegance.

"Do you know many different sides she has?" Benja asks, nodding to M'ayris as she walks into our barracks through a back door.

I shake my head no. "The girl keeps a lot of her personality under wraps. If you do want to know more, you're going to have to talk to her brother. They know almost everything about each other." Benja nods at that and waves goodbye as he walks around to the front of the barracks and disappears within a crowd of uniformed recruits.

I wait until Benja is gone before I make my way inside of the barracks. And as soon as I enter, I am greeted with a stinging slap to the face. "The next time you go off on your own, tell me beforehand!" I hear Frags snap before a warm hand grips my wrist and pulls me further into the dark barracks.

"Looks like somebody's in trouble," Vikke comments from nearby, flashing me a devious grin as he throws a bright yellow ball against a wall. It bounces off the wall and onto the floor before returning to him.

"Shut up, Vikke. I have things to share with you once I'm done being lectured," I snap at the cinnamon teen in Minecrafti as he catches the ball again.

"Fun, fun," Vikke says with a grin before turning his attention to Frags.

"Where have you been?" The fiery-eyed teen demands, crossing his arms as he flashes me a glare. The orange of his irises flicker with anger.

"I was in that rundown city southwest of here and happened to run into some of Fvendal's family while I was there." I see a sympathetic light shine in M'ayris' eyes before it disappears to her usual stone-faced expression. She knows Fvendal's my brother. I remember as I continue with the story, turning to look at Vikke. He was leaning forward, interested in what I have to say. "Why didn't you tell me Fvendal taught you how to speak Mespelí and Island Native?"

Vikke shrugs. "It never came up in conversation." He keeps his words simple, brushing his knowledge of Fvendal off his shoulder like a loose strand of M'ayris' hair. The younger teen really pisses me off sometimes.

"Anywhere else?" My boyfriend questions, directing my attention back to him.

"No. I swear on the graves of my royal ancestors."