Chapter Fifteen: Taken

Song: Heart of The Darkness by Sam Tinnesz

*

*

It rained that night.

As if the day couldn't get any worse, it rains. And the nearest homeless shelter is twelve miles from where I'm currently at.

I find shelter against a brick wall of a building. The old, moldy gutters of the buildings sticks out a good two feet from the roof, providing me with at least two feet of coverage. It does't stop the rain from blowing in through the open sides, though.

But beggars can't be choosers.

So, I hunker down against the aging, abandoned building. I would go in but....I know dangerous people roam the streets and seek shelter in buildings like these. I would take the rain over creepy people lurking in dark places any day.

The wind howls through my ears and I do my best to curl up in an attempt to keep myself dry and as warm as possible. But it's hard to do so when cold rain is being blown in your face.

Well this is miserable.

The sun slowly sinks down into the sky, its light retreating and darkness being drawn over the land like a curtain. 

The temperature drops and the storm becomes heavier. The rain pelts my skin and it isn't long before I am soaked to the bone and shivering. I growl in frustration and wrap my arms tighter around myself.

I bury my head in my arms, using them as a pillow for my exhausted, heavy head.

Tomorrow I search the city for a job. I've got to survive somehow. Living on the streets is not an option.

* * *

A quiet groan slips from my parted lips as I become aware that I am lying face down on the cold, hard pavement. I'm still hazy from the horrible sleep I had last night. I sit up, wincing at the soreness in my bones from sleeping on hard, solid ground.

I rub the sleep from my eyes and I shiver when the morning chill seems to hug my skin. My clothes are wet and stuck to my skin and I resist the urge to strip right there.

I hate the feeling of wet clothes on my body, and the fact that I'm freezing makes it even worse.

I don't need to look in the mirror to know that my hair is messed up and that there are bags bigger than suitcases under my eyes.

How am I going to get a job looking like this? I take a deep breath, trying to not let stress get the best of me. You got this. You're a strong woman, you can figure something out. It will all work out.

I try my best to reassure myself but I'm not convinced that it's working.

I'm sure the homeless shelter has fresh clothes I can change into. That's a good place to start.

With those thoughts, I begin the long journey to the homeless shelter. It's quite a walk, and some people stare at me as I wander through the city. Their calculating eyes reminds me of the first time I was at the mental asylum.

They look at me with judgmental stares and I don't like it. It makes me antsy and irritated.

My feet squish and make sloshing sounds with each step I take. It's like my feet are drowning in my own shoes. Goosebumps crawl across my skin when a cold breeze blows past me. The sky is a fading grey, meaning  the storm is fleeing.

Thankfully.

I'm not really in the mood to take another frigid shower again.

I just want to feel the warmth of the sun again, I miss it. I haven't really felt the warmth of the sun for a long time now, and I miss it. The sun was in the sky yesterday but not for very long.