Chapter Thirty One: A Place to Call Home

Song: Who We Are by Nothing More

*

*

I would have to show back up to work eventually, and I figured it would be best to do it sooner rather than later. I just would have to push my humiliation to the side and go in and face Dagger with a strong face.

I've put on a strong face all my life, so this will be no different.

Walking into the shop the next morning, I go straight to his office, where, like I predicted, he is sitting. I stand in the doorway of his little office, waiting for him to look up from whatever paperwork he is currently filling out.

It's like he senses my presence, and when he looks up, he smiles sadly at me, pity is clear in his eyes.

"M-may I have a seat?" I ask nervously.

He nods. "Yes, of course."

I don't know how to begin or where, so I spurt the first words that comes to mind. "Look, about yesterday, I-I understand if you want to fire me-"

"Addison, no. I'm going to be blunt here, alright? It's obvious you have had a rough life, everyone can see it. We all have our breaking points, and it was clear your reached yours on that stage last night. How can I blame you for that?" Dagger asks, raising his eyebrows.

I wasn't expecting that reaction at all.

"I-I guess you're right, but, I wasted everyone's time! I wasted your time and your money and resources, and not to mention my pride. That was so humiliating, how can I even go back out there on the stage after what has happened?" I babble, hiding my face in hands.

"You didn't waste anyone's time, Addison, don't worry. That's the last thing you should be worrying about right now. And as for the humiliation....I get it. I really do get it. But what everyone saw up there last night was the real you. They saw you for who you really are. Imperfect, passionate, beautifully broken-"

"That's not making me feel any better."

"I'm not quite finished yet. You know, you see all these singers nowadays singing about songs that were given to them, songs that carry no real meaning to them, songs that.....songs that are practically worthless in their hands. But for you? You're much different. You can connect to these songs. Your emotions are real, valuable, genuine.....and for everyone to see your struggles up on that stage, makes the songs just that more meaningful and powerful."

I blink a few times. I guess....I guess I never really thought of it that way. But that still doesn't change the fact that my humiliation will still linger for a bit. Especially, that everyone knows there's something wrong with me.

Dagger speaks again. "Don't expect to be perfect on that stage. Perfection doesn't exist. Rather, be you on that stage. Pour your heart out while singing, because not only could it change your life, but someone else's, too."

"Wow....I actually don't really know what to say." I state, being honest with him. I mean, what is there to say in positions like this?

He smiles slightly and I thank him for everything. I am truly grateful for the few kind people in this world, they truly help me get through each day with a hopeful heart.

"And Addison, if you ever want to talk about something, I'm here for you. You carry quite the bit of weight of burdens, and if you ever need anything....?" He trails off.

"Oh, no. I-I'm actually thinking of getting on welfare just for a bit, it would really help me get back on my feet since....since my life went to hell." I tell him. He doesn't need to offer me anything more, he's done quite enough for me already.