Chapter Thirty Two: Beautifully Broken

Song: Failure by Breaking Benjamin

I ' m   o f t e n   s i l e n t

W  h  e  n    I ' m   s c r e a m i n g

o n   t h e   i n s i d e

* * *

My beautiful, broken guitar was no longer broken. The wood smelled fresh and new and it sounded wonderful. There was a little bit of scarring along the backside. It's a ridged line that will forever serve as a reminder of its rough past.

I hoped Dagger would be proud, and I wished to show it to him today. I had to sing tonight, and I was hoping I could use my guitar for the first time. I had been practicing the guitar again, and it feels good to have the feel of the strings under my fingers once more.

I really missed it.

I found Dagger in his office and I smiled as I approached him. I hid the guitar behind my back, and when he looked up, surprise crossed his face.

"Addison, what do you need?" He asks.

"Oh, nothing. I'm here because....I wanted to show you something." I reply.

His eyes widen when I reveal the mended guitar, and I set it down on the desk in front of him so he can examine it.

"I-I fixed my guitar."

"It's absolutely beautiful! The craftsmanship on this instrument is fantastic." He says, amazed as he runs his hands along the body of the guitar. "It looks almost like brand new!"

Dagger seemed to be excited and I smiled at his enthusiasm for instruments and music. He strummed my guitar a bit and seemed to be happy with the way it sounded.

"You did an amazing job on this task." He says as he turns the guitar over to examine the back.

"Oh, that's the part that couldn't be fixed. There's a little bit of a scar from where the guitar was mended back together to fix the hole." I tell him.

He nods in understanding and sets the guitar back on the desk. He looks up, his eyes twinkling and he smirks. "Now, here's the learning part. I want you to tell me what you have learned through this experience of repairing a damaged good."

"It was a challenge, I'll give it that. It taught me not to give up...." My voice trails off, unsure of where I'm going with this.

"Mhm. And?"

"Uhh..."

"This right here," Dagger says, tapping the guitar in front of him,"Was broken, seemingly beyond repair, correct?"

"Yes."

"But yet, it was restored. It's now a beautiful instrument that can produce equally as beautiful music. However, it is still imperfect. A scar remains, reminding all of its broken past. How can that be applied to your life?" He questions me, a serious look growing in his eyes.

"To me....?"

"To you."

I think for a moment.

Only then, do I finally understand.

"The guitar is like me. It is like me because it was damaged, broken, seemingly to the point past saving." I whisper.

He nods. "You are like that guitar you repaired. You see, all damaged things can be restored not to perfection, because perfection is impossible in this world full of flaws. Damaged things can be restored to healing, relief, and beauty."