Chapter Forty Three: Dreamless Sleep

Song: Falling Inside the Black by Skillet

*

*

Colton was growing weary and his eyes were glazing over. It seemed like it was harder and harder for him to keep up the fight to stay awake, and I squeezed his hand tightly in mine. Blood stained his shirt that was against his lower ribs and I put pressure to try to stop the bleeding.

"Hang on for me, just a little longer....an ambulance is on the way, you'll be okay, I promise." The desperation in my voice sounded like I was trying to convince myself, even though in reality, things were looking bleak.

I could see it in his eyes - the exhaustion, the will to just give into the sleep that wishes to take him. He looked completely out of it, like there was nothing in his eyes as he clung onto the string of life.

His lips were quivering and he squeezed my hand tightly as he let out a groan of pain. "A-Addison.....it hurts." He stutters, letting out a painful cough followed by another sound of pain. His voice was quiet and weak, and it even sounded painful. The sight made my heart wretch in my chest.

"I know it does, Colton, I know it does. But don't speak, focus on breathing, can you do that for me?" I ask, my hope fading as he grows weaker in my grasp.

His hand let go of mine and his head fell to the side. He was still breathing heavily, and my heart was in agony from worry. I felt sick to my stomach with the thought of losing him, because it looked like he was dying.

It was so unfair - I could do nothing, absolutely nothing as Colton was fading in my arms. I gently patted his cheek, trying to stir him and snap him out of the drowsiness he was falling into.

I feared that if he were to fall asleep, he'd never wake up.

He grunted, his eyes turning to mine. 

"I'm proud to call you the first woman who I've managed to crush on." He says, a ghost of a smile on his face as his eyes light up for a moment before diving back into their fading appearance.

That makes my tears run faster, and I let my lips land on his forehead, planting a single, soft kiss there. This could be the last time I speak with him and I certainly wasn't going to waste it. 

"And I'm proud to call you the man I'm afraid I might fall for." I reply quietly.

But I don't know if he heard my words.

Because when I looked down, he his head was limp against his chest and his eyes were closed. I tried to wake him, but he didn't move. "Colton?"

No answer.

"Colton!" I cried, shaking him.

Still no answer.

Overcome with sorrow, I buried my face in his neck the sound of the wailing sirens in the night became closer and closer.

And all I could think about was the possibility of losing Colton.

A silent prayer left my lips, hoping that somebody, anybody, would be merciful enough to hear my prayers, my final cry for help.

Because Colton's death would not only destroy him, but me, also.

* * *

The ride to the hospital was hectic, it's one I don't remember much because it was rushed and I was in a state of panic and shock. Paramedics quickly cut his shirt away and immediately did all what they could do before arriving to the hospital.

I hadn't seen Colton shirtless before, and damn, what I saw broke my heart. Evidence of his abuse was scattered across his body, on his abdomen, his chest, all over his arms and I can only imagine what his back looked like.