Chapter Forty: He Finally Breaks

Song: Mansion by NF

^This song reminds me a lot of Colton

*

*

I was suddenly dragged out of my sleep when the sound of glass penetrated my ears. The room was dark, the only light being the moonlight that seeped through the closed blinds. In my foggy state, I remained calm, tucked away in bed, thinking that the sound was nothing more than a dream that had been cut short.

My belief was shattered the moment that sound ricocheted off of the walls once more. It was loud, disturbing, and awoke me from the sleepy state I was in before.

It sounded like someone was rummaging through the kitchen drawers, I could hear the utensils inside slamming against their confines and jingling loudly. Shortly after the assault on the drawers, it sounded like the perpetrator was carelessly going through the cupboard that held the few glass cups I owned.

With each sound of shattering glass, I winced.

I don't miss a beat when I jump up from bed, panting with nervousness and surveying my options around me. Colton had purposely left a bat in this room, just in case worst came to worst and I had to defend myself somehow.

He also a large butcher knife in the bedside table next to me, and I wasted no time in grabbing both of those items before venturing out of my room.

I wasn't able to turn on any lights, lest I alert the intruder that I'm here. I should've just stayed in my room in all honesty, but part of me believes that if they're going to ransack my kitchen, then they're certainly going to do the same with the rest of the house including the room I called safe.

I crept along the halls, careful to stay flat against the wall in order to hide in the darker shadows that the walls cast.

My heart was loud in my ears, I could feel my pulse throbbing in the veins of my hands and wrists. My heart beating frantically as if to warn me of the danger that threatened its life.

I try to keep my breathing steady and quiet, but it's hard to do so and the knife threatens to spill from my grasp.

I was prepared to do whatever it takes in order to survive, the sharp glint of the knife in one of my hands made me even more anxious.

As I approached the kitchen, I peered out from behind the safety of the wall, seeking the person who dared to come into my home at the most ungodly hour of the night and disrupt my sleep, as well as my sanity. But upon seeing who it was, I growled and flipped on the kitchen light.

"What the hell, Colton?!" I shout, letting the baseball bat and knife slip from my hands. I am pissed - beyond pissed that he would burst into my apartment and break my belongings so carelessly. I was beyond pissed that he would put me through quite the scare by breaking in late at night and causing a mess.

He stands there, looking down and gripping the counter so tightly his knuckles turn white. He's not facing me, instead, I have a view of his profile. 

But when he looks up at me, he looks like an absolute wreck. 

My anger dissipates some, luckily for him, but not that much.

His hair is messy, thrown about all over his face, all over his eyes and sticking up everywhere. He wears a scowl and he seems.....off.

Maybe a bit drunk, perhaps? Tipsy, maybe....because I certainly can smell the hint of alcohol from here.

"Where did I-I put that damn bottle?" He says lowly, turning his attention back to my drawers where he starts being rough with them again.