Chapter 5

The rain fell heavily against the thin aspen leaves before dropping to the cleared forest pathways. The hooves of their horses sunk into the mud, the thick brown paste suctioning weakly, attempting to hold the powerful horse in place. Clarke gripped the reigns tightly in her fists as her horse trotted beside Lexa's.

Clarke glanced over at the commander, who was clearly not put off her course by a cloud of rain. She was settled in the saddle of her horse, one hand holding the reigns while the other rested in its own slumber on her thigh. Droplets of water rolled down her forehead, travelling onto her freshly painted iconic warpaint. The black paint brought out the true nature of her eye colour, which matched the vibrant damp leaves that they were surrounded by. Behind her, Jayden was hunched over slightly to protect himself from the rain. Gustus leaned over, bringing his hand to the back of the young man's head.

"Sit up, boy. Do not fear a little bit of water. There are worse things out there" Gustus instructed. Jayden immediately sat up, slightly embarrassed of being scolded in front of his commander. He shuffled uncomfortably in his saddle.

"How much further, Wanheda?" Luna asked, her impatience growing as the rain got heavier.

"We arrive when we arrive, Luna. I thought Anya taught us well about the dangers of impatience." Lexa said. Her voice made everyone else's seem like background noises as she spoke.

"Yes Heda." Luna looked at Clarke "However, may I ask what your plan is exactly, Clarke?"

Clarke looked down at her cold, shaking hands. The coldness of the rain was starting to take its toll on her fingers. Lexa's eyes lingered over Clarke, recognising her discomfort.

"We go inside. I talk to my mother. No doubt she will still be in charge."

"And what if she is not?"

"Then Marcus will be" Clarke said quietly. It was true. The two of them had been passing the chancellor badge between them since they had reached the ground. It worked, but it was also unpredictable. She cupped her hands, still holding the leather reigns, and blew into them to heat them up. Lexa frowned.

"Here" The commander said as she slipped off her gloves, holding them out to Clarke, who looked at her questioningly "It appears that if you go any longer without warming your hands up, soon you won't be able to hold onto the reigns."

Clarke hesitantly reached out, taking the gloves from the Heda, who watched as she slid the gloves onto her hands. The worn black leather material was still warm from Lexa's own hands, heating up her glacial fingers. The commander's fingers were a lot longer than her own, and she frowned at the extra length left at the ends of gloves.

"Thank you" she said quietly. Lexa nodded in return, her face softening as she looked ahead. There was no denying how much more relaxed she was, surrounded by nature as they made their journey. It was understandable though, as she was trikru. She grew up in these forests.

Clarke lifted her head as the glint of the metal gates to Arkadia caught her attention. The camp had certainly changed. But not too much. The walls had been built higher, the electrified wires surrounding it doubling in numbers. She could see the watch towers from the inside. It looked larger in the looming fresh shadows of the approaching night.

"Get behind me. If things go wrong, go. Okay?" Clarke said. The commander and Luna nodded, pulling their horses into a slow pace behind Clarke as they approached.