Chapter 22

Lexa had called for a meeting between herself and the Ice Queen, and Clarke knew she probably shouldn't have been so afraid. Grounders had a rule during war, where leaders would be allowed to meet as long as there is no harm done to those on the opposite side throughout the discussions. But Clarke couldn't help the constant nervous tap of her foot, or the shake in her hands as she grasped the handle of her dagger if the worst came to action.

She stood a small distance behind Lexa along side Luna, who shared small glances with the blonde ever so often. Even with all the emotions Clarke had felt, and everything that had just occurred over the past few days, her heart still leaped with pride. Luna and Lexa were her people, and they were fighting together. Something about it felt... right.

"Are you afraid of defeat, Lexa?" Nia questioned the commander with a smirk. Lexa's fingers, which were interlaced behind her back, tightened at her words.

"No" she said through clenched teeth "you have already lost your war, Nia. I am only trying to reduce casualties on both sides."

"Since when have you ever cared for your people, Lexa?"

"Since I rose to command. Now hurry up and issue your challenge so you may leave." Lexa said in a harsh, monotone voice. Her eyes scanned the woods around them, which was half way between Azgeda and their own camp. They were in no man's land, it seemed.

"Fine" The Ice Queen glared "since you have my son detained in Polis, I will bring forth my own nightblood to challenge you. Ontari, future queen of Azgeda, and commander of the 12 clans, shall fight for me. Do you accept?"

"I do" Lexa tipped up her jaw. Light caught it from through the trees at an angle to make it look dangerous. Deadly.

"And who fights for you, commander?"

"Ai laik Heda. Non na throu daun him ai" (I am the commander. Nobody fights for me) Lexa stood tall, back straight and eyes daring. She knew what game she was playing, and so did Nia. However, the queen of Azgeda was too afraid to play along. Of course she would never fight Lexa herself...

"Big words for a little girl with such a large responsibility, wouldn't you say?" The queen chuckled "I hope you are aware that Azgeda are not your only enemy"

"Empty threats do not harm me" Lexa raised an eyebrow

"Pike will retaliate at my death. We have an alliance"

"And who will be left to retaliate to his death?"

"Ontari" Nia's confident smirk almost made Clarke throw up against the closest tree. As her lips curved, the scars imbedded in the skin of her face stretched painfully. She exchanged a knowing look with Luna, who looked equally disgusted. Lexa, however, looked unfazed.

"Then she will join you in your ashes" Lexa spun on her heels, moving back towards Clarke and Luna who waited patiently for the her to finish. "I shall see that you die Nia. Have no doubts."

"You're weak, you know!" Nia called after her "I can see it in your eyes! You're weak!"

Lexa slowed to a stop, hands falling to her sides as she sighed.

"Nia, have you ever loved anyone?" Lexa asked. She stared straight ahead with the ice queen's gaze hot on her back.

"Loved? No."

"Then that is what makes you weak." Lexa finally turned her head to peer over her shoulder at the confused queen "I have come to the realisation that love is far from weakness. Perhaps that is why you are so weak. You fail to recognise it as a strength."