Chapter 10

"Traitor! He is a traitor! Heda, why bring a traitor back into our walls?" Yelled a man from the crowd. His arms slung in the air to get the commander's attention "tie him up! I say punish him!"

His voice was drowned out by sever agreements "yeah! Kill him!" Exclaimed a woman. Another joined in "string him up!"

Octavia wrapped her arm protectively around Lincoln, scowling. Clarke stood, and her heart melted as she admired the love they had for each other. There was no doubt they would give their life for each other. Take a bullet to the head just to protect each other. Clarke wondered, would she ever find that?

"No!" Lexa's voice boomed over her people, silencing them in an instant. They stood expectantly, watching their leader with wide eyes and ears patiently waiting to listen. Clarke directed her gaze to the commander "I pardon Lincoln of his betrayal"

Clarke frowned from beside Raven. The man who protested raised his voice again "but why heda?"

"Lincoln showed his desire of peace. His betrayal was purely an act to find peace. We need more people willing to pursue such a thing" Lexa clasped her hands behind her back.

"Commander, you've clearly lost your mind! Peace is won by war! Not betrayal!"

"Control yourself, Roman!" She yelled "do not forget your place!"

"Don't forget yours! You are commander, are you not? Act like it!" He pushed himself through the people to face Lexa. Her hands dropped and clenched into fists as she stepped towards him.

"I am commander. And I am the only commander to have achieved peace between the 12 clans, and kept my people from an attack for years. Previous commander's could hardly protect you for a month" she growled. Her voice was deathly quiet "Do not be unfaithful, Roman, or it will be you who is tied to a tree. It will be you to experience a thousand cuts for your betrayal. Is that understood?"

The man, Roman, faltered. He stepped back away from his commander, lowering his head slightly in submission "forgive me Heda"

"Bow before Heda, Roman" Jayden raised his voice. The two men stared at each other, and Clarke began to wonder who would throw the first blow. But then, Roman dropped to one knee, lowering his head to bow to his commander. Clarke swore she saw Jayden's leg twitch, as if he was trying to refrain from bringing his knee right to his face. Lexa tilted her chin up, her throat bobbing ever so slightly as she swallowed.

"Forgive me Heda." He said quietly "we are afraid."

"I understand. Rise." She said and he did as instructed, a patch of dirt still left on his knee. Lexa turned her attention to address everyone "we shall celebrate our newly bonded alliance with Skaikru. Your efforts in welcoming the clan will be great. Is that understood?"

"Long live Heda! Long live skaikru!" A small boy grinned as he pushed his way past the legs of the adults stood before him. He punched his fist in the air as he chanted out his words. Lexa looked down at him, the red of her sash reflecting off of the small boys face. And all he could do was gaze up in awe.

"And what is your name?" Lexa questioned, her head ever so slightly tilting to the side in curiosity at the brace boy.

"My name is Caleb! Caleb Isaac!" He said proudly. Lexa glanced over her shoulder at Jayden, who's arms were crossed  as he glared at the young boy.

"Your brother has a heart of steel, Jayden" Lexa said as she unbuckled the straps of her dagger. She leant down to look at the younger boy of the Isaac brothers. It was clear that they were brothers... almost too clear. They shared the same black hair, the tight jaws and high cheekbones. The same dark brown, curious eyes.