Chapter 15

It had never felt so good to leave somewhere before. She felt like the weight of death itself had been lifted from her shoulders when she weaved her way through the tall grass and wildflowers, Lexa by her side as they approached Polis.

A small amount a sweat glinted on her forehead in sunlight filled beads. Her eyes stayed brightly illuminated in the brightness of mid-day, fixed ahead on the path before them.

Clarke's hand tightened on the strap of her backpack "Lexa?"

There was a small amount of silence before Lexa responded "Yes, Clarke?"

"Why did you want to read?"

Lexa glanced at the blonde, seeming to argue with herself behind her own eyes.

"I believe it could come to my advantage" Lexa came up with, resulting in a raised eyebrow from Clarke. Lexa sighed "and... I used to listen to Anya read to me every night"

Clarke snorted at the thought. A little Lexa, curled up in bed with Anya reading her a bedtime story.

"What'd she read you? The three little pigs?" She grinned at her own joke.

"No. Macbeth" she responded

"Jesus... and you were a little kid?" Clarke questioned

"Yes. She believed that reading me stories like that would prevent me from becoming an ignominious and dishonourable leader. She hoped that it would teach me that the greed for power would destroy me." She frowned

"So you became the commander of the 12 clans?" Clarke raised an eyebrow

"I became the commander of the 12 clans to ensure peace amongst my people. I gave up many things to achieve it. I showed mercy, even to those who did not deserve it."

Clarke nodded. She had heard from Niylah that the ice nation had murdered Costia brutally, and yet she let them into the coalition to bring peace. Even though she wanted to kill every last one of them. It's strange to think that even now, Costia ends up showing herself to Lexa in any form she can. In the form of the nature which Lexa surrounds herself in. In the anger Lexa felt towards the ice nation after her death. The anger she still holds deep down. Clarke decides to change the subject when she sees the hurting expression on Lexa's face.

"Anya taught you well" She mentioned "You're a great leader"

"Even the best leaders make mistakes, both of us know that"

"Maybe so. But we fight to make sure ourselves and our people survive. Anya taught you to keep fighting, and bring peace. She wanted peace and you brought it."

"How did she die?" Lexa turned towards her, stopping in her tracks not far from Polis "You gave me minimal information on her death. I wish to know more."

Clarke stopped just ahead of Lexa, feet buried in the grass below her. She sighed at the bright shades of green. "I found her in mount weather caged up with your people. I broke her free and together we escaped. It's funny, she originally wanted to bring me to you as her prisoner"

"What stopped her?"

"I did. I turned the tables and went to take her back to my own people, only to find out they weren't there. We fought."

"Did she do her usual distraction technique?"

"What distraction?"