Chapter 26

Clarke watched in awe as Lexa's shadow sunk to her knees, cutting into Clarke's bonds and freeing her with a small dagger.

"Lexa" The relieved blonde fell forward into the commander's arms, losing herself in the comfort of her hug. She buried her face in her shoulder. She could feel in that moment where her home truly was. It wasn't in space, on the ark, or at the drop ship. Her only home was Lexa-warm and welcoming and safe.

The walls of mount weather were dull and uneventful. They drew every single ounce of boredom and disinterest from Clarke that it was almost painful to sit in a cell for days on end with four walls staring back at her. But Lexa... the sight of her made it all worth it.

"Are you okay?" Lexa whispered into the tangles of Clarke's hair. Clarke nodded

"Yeah but they hurt Luna pretty bad. I think she may have a few broken ribs" She responded, and Lexa slowly loosened her grip on her, pulling away from the hug. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Luna perk up at her own name, only to wince ever so slightly and grasp her side.

"I'll take her back. Get her some place safe." Abby spoke, hands on hips, watching.

"Thanks mom" Clarke replied. She stared back at Abby in caution, unsure as whether her hands on her hips meant disappointment or if it meant pride. The small smile she displayed after Clarke spoke suggested it could be the latter.

"Let's get you out of here, Clarke." Lexa spoke in a hushed, soft tone "We need to talk"

Clarke's heart leapt. She knew for a fact that when someone said 'we need to talk' it usually resulted in something bad, like a relationship to end. Clarke knew, and understood, that all things at some point came to an end. However, she wasn't ready yet. She wasn't ready for them to end.

"Is everything okay?" Clarke whispered

"Yeah" Lexa brushed her hand against Clarke's, looking down and moving closer "I just want to talk to you, Clarke"

The moment of weakness of which the commander was showing revealed the true gentle nature of her. It was beautiful. Lexa was beautiful. Clarke could do nothing but be relieved. And in that moment of relief, she leant forward, resting her forehead against Lexa's while she could with the taller woman's head ducked down.

"I'm sorry" Lexa whispered quietly.

"Hey" She lifted her hand to rest on Lexa's cheek in comfort. The faint colour of green eyes revealed everything she had to know- that she felt guilty.

"I shouldn't have let you out of my sight. I knew... I knew something was suspicious, Clarke. I could have stopped them if I wasn't so caught up in fighting... I'm sorry" Lexa tried explaining herself. But Clarke saw no need for it. There was nothing to apologise for.

"It's okay, Lexa. It's nobody's fault that this happened. We're safe now" Clarke nodded "We can go back to Polis. And we can rebuild the ark after destroying mount weather. Everything is going to get better, and we..."

Lexa stared at Clarke. The word 'we' echoed through both of their heads.

"We can survive" Clarke added finally, after her loss of words left too much silence between them which had drawn too many thoughts. The corner of Lexa's mouth curved into a subtle smile.

"Maybe life should be about more than just surviving" Lexa retraced Clarke's words with a certain beauty that it made life sound... amazing... if Lexa was there too.

"Commander" the deep rumble of a voice drew a growl from Lexa's lips as she grit her teeth.

Pike clicked the bullet into the chamber of his gun, training its line of sight directly on Clarke. Behind him stood more of his men, guns fixed on the two women, a wall of weaponry. Some men were still shuffling into place, aiming over each other's shoulders.