Chapter 6

"Are you out of your mind?" Abby yelled, slamming her hand on the table. Abby had been completely understanding of Clarke before she left, but now. Now she didn't trust her at all.

"No! I'm trying to do what's best for all of us!"

"And how is that? Clarke, you've been gone! But now you come back? With the commander? With the grounders?"

"I came back to help you. I didn't want to come back at all. Would you prefer it if we died?"

"Of course not. But you can't just come back and take control whenever you feel like it." Abby said "There is no way we are forming another alliance."

The others in the room simply watched and waited for their arguing to end. Lexa had now found a seat beside Luna, and they both discussed benefits of an alliance with hushed voices. Raven leant against the table, her arms crossed as she attempted to keep her mouth shut.

"There is no way you're going to stop me" Clarke glared at her mother "you may be chancellor but I'm in charge."

"That's what you said last time too" Abby glared back into her daughters eyes. Jayden felt uncomfortable. He didn't know what to do other than stand and stare at the floor in front of him. His fingers gripped his spear loosely as he exchanged small glances with Raven. Gustus smacked him over the head and he directed his gaze back down.

"I am growing tired of your arguments" Luna interrupted "You will need this alliance, or Azgeda will rule over you, and the rest of us too."

"What's so wrong with Azgeda? Clearly your people need a new ruler" Abby glared. Gustus immediately raised his voice.

"Lexa kom trikru is the greatest commander to have ever lived. The peace she created will fall along with her"

"That's what you call it?"

"Alright that's it." Luna stood, grabbing Abby and shoving her into a seat, her hands fixed tightly onto her shoulders to keep her seated "you are going to sit, and listen. Nothing more, nothing less. Is that understood?"

"This is-"

"Abby just listen for gods sake! I have things to do!" Raven exclaimed, throwing her hands up in anger before signalling to Jayden "even the grounder guy over there looks bored out of his mind!"

Jayden immediately stood up straight before Gustus could look at him. Lexa raised an eyebrow at the young man before looking back to Abby. The room was silent until Lexa spoke.

"You are afraid" Lexa pointed out as she rested her hands on the table in front of her "it is understandable"

"I'm not afraid" Abby hissed

"Of course not" Lexa said sarcastically "what we need to focus on right now, is what will happen if we do not make an alliance"

"Which is?"

"Your people will fall. So will mine. Azgeda are ruthless, heartless. If you believe me to be cruel, an encounter with the Ice nation will certainly change your mind. They wish to control. Corrupt."

"And what's wrong with that?"

"If I die, Azgeda will take my place as commander. They will kill anyone who has more power than them. Your technology is the most powerful weapon known to the 12 clans. Once I fall, their first move would be to eliminate that weapon."

"It's not our problem that you have the Ice nation wanting you dead. It is you who rules the coalition" Abby crossed her arms

"It will be your problem when you have 12 clans surrounding your camp ready to attack" Lexa snapped back "I do not care if I die. It is my fate to do so. But I will not let my position fall into the hands of an azgeda."