Chapter 20

The commander had decided on setting up camp outside of Azgeda territory to allow their people to rest. Makeshift tents had been pulled together using branches from the surrounding trees. Of course, the commander's tent, along with the medical tent, were much more expertly installed with strong pillars and thick cloth to offer more protection.

With the recent arrival of injured members from floukru, the medical tent was almost full. Abby and Nyko weaved through their patients, checking on burns that they had accumulated from the acid fog. Clarke offered much needed help, taking care of the small number of people who had been wounded in the actual battle.

"You'll be okay, Artigas" Clarke said "that cut in your arm should hurt bad, but other than that, I don't think you'll bleed out any time soon"

Artigas nodded "thank you, Wanheda"

"Just don't tear your stitches" Clarke warned, moving past him to check on a chest wound. A hand locked around her wrist, tugging her to a halt. She turned to find Luna staring at her.

"Thank you" Luna whispered. Clarke tilted her head and looked to the space beside her.

"Can I sit?" She asked, earning a nod from Luna. She sat down beside the frizzy haired brunette, feeling the instant relief in her legs.

"You saved the commander's life" Luna stated

"And she saved mine"

"The thing is, I owe you an apology, Wanheda" Luna said, turning to face the blonde "I never trusted you. Not when Lexa convinced me to come out of hiding after mount weather. Not when she brought you to Polis. Not when you protected us."

"Come out of hiding?" Clarke questioned. She had never heard of floukru before, but at the same time, she hadn't heard of many of the clans before her visit to Polis either.

"Lexa and I were great friends before the conclave which made her the commander. She and Costia helped me escape after... well, after I was forced to kill my brother. She showed more understanding to my pain than I could have ever expected, and helped me, along with my clan, to go into hiding." Luna paused to look over her shoulder "It was only when she really needed my help that she requested my return. I owed it to her, so I did"

Clarke followed Luna's eyes to find the commander herself in deep conversation with Abby. Lexa scratched her chin and nodded in some sort of agreement before she dropped her crossed arms to help one of her men sit up whilst Abby bandaged him. Clarke had to admit, seeing her mother and Lexa working together side by side to help a patient looked so unbelievably weird.

"She's a lot more than people see her as. Isn't she?" As Clarke spoke, Lexa's eyes met hers from across the tent before flicking back down to the man with concern. Those small couple of seconds were enough to bring Clarke's heart to her mouth.

"Being the commander turned her into something she wasn't. And losing Costia turned her into something she didn't want to be." Luna crossed her arms "Lexa was selfless, kind and caring like a care package for those who needed it, even though Anya attempted to cover those features over. I've never seen her like this since before the conclave when we trained together."

Clarke nodded. Luna painted the clearest picture for her to see. She could imagine a young teenage Lexa, smiling freely and being so... loose. Now, as commander, Lexa was wound tightly and prepared. She could imagine sloppy punches being taught be a younger Anya, long braids swinging over her shoulder and bright, youthful eyes focused on the task at hand. It was something Clarke could imagine clearly now that she had grown closer to the commander.

"Clarke" Lexa's voice tugged the two women from their small dreaming state. She stood a few steps in front of them, and neither of them saw her coming "I believe you deserve some rest after today."