Chapter8: Hogwarts

The landscape paraded. The English countryside had no time to expose themselves to the sight of the two children, because of the high speed of the train. This view, blurred, was conducive to reflection. Silence reigned in the compartment, Draco and Alexander had not been disturbed by other students, as if fate itself wanted to give them a little more time. The sadness of the separation was still present in their hearts, but neither of them wished to express it. This was the case for all the little wizards, all suddenly found ripped out of their family on the occasion of entry to the school of witchcraft. What good is it to complain or regret? They had to go beyond that.

A good half hour had passed since the departure and yet, no word had been exchanged. Draco and Alexander were facing each other but their eyes were fixed on the window and they contemplated the parade of the English landscape.

They could have stayed that way for the whole trip had the door of their compartment opened, leaving room for a little girl with bushy, bushy hair in muggle outfit.

She watched them for a few moments, astonished at the calm that reigned here compared to the other compartments, then at the inquiring gaze of the brown-haired and disdainful blonde, she spoke.

- Hello, my name is Hermione Granger, I help a boy named Neville to find his toad. You would not have seen one by chance?

Alexander did not answer right away, detailing the girl. Given her outfit, she was definitely a muggleborn. When she showed up, she had not indicated her house, sign that she must be in first grade, just like them. Neville, that name took him back years, one of Henry's friends, the Potter's son of friends, was named after him. But if it was him, why did he ask a stranger to find his animal? He had to make sure of the identity of the boy before going further in his reasoning.

- Nice to meet you, I'm Alexander Black and this is Draco Malfoy. This Neville, it's Neville Longbottom?

She seemed taken aback but recovered quickly.

- Yes, I met him in the hallway and he asked me to help him and his friends to find his toad.

The mention of "friends" threw a cold into the compartment. Alexander's face closed and Hermione knew right away that there was a problem. Draco, who had hitherto totally ignored him after openly snubbed him, cast a worried glance at his companion before staring at her wickedly.

- We do not want to have anything to do with them, if we find the toad, we will make porridge or we throw it out the window so thank you not to impose longer your presence.

Draco's voice was cold and aggressive. His face was closed. Hermione took a step back from so much aggression. She did not expect that. She knew almost nothing of the witch mores, apart from what she had read in the books, had she made a mistake? Tears came to his eyes. She was running away, hiding her last, when Alexander intervened.

- That's good Draco, do not start. Why are you helping them? You know them ? He asked him.

Hesitating, she answered all the same.

- No, but I had nothing else to do, I do not know anybody anyway.

So that was it. Pressed to make friends, she jumped at the chance and agreed to help these boys, who were sure to have fun with his credulity. Alexander felt lenient and decided to offer advice to this little naïve.

- You do not know this world yet, but here, it is better to think of you first. The others will not give you gifts. You're Muggle-born and for them you'll be a muggleborn, or mudblood if they're less polite. They will never forget that you have not always belonged to their world. If you start serving them now, you'll never get away. To put them down, you'll have to climb higher than them.