Chapter13: Squibs

- According to this book, Artifacts Prohibited, how to recognize them, the catalysts are set for chosen period. It would be enough to wave his wand and indicate the desired duration of the enchantment. Every six months, a simple contact between the caster and the object would allow the object to loosen up, providing access to a greater part of the magic of the user, Hermione explained, the nose in a grimoire she had just borrowed.

- We should cast spells first, we may not have enough power afterwards. Seven years, is that Alexander? Draco added.

The five children surrounded Blaise's bed, where the package had been placed. Alexander stood a little behind, sitting cross-legged on his own bed. He watched his friends, hoping wholeheartedly that they would not have to suffer as much pain as his.

- Remains the most important: we must choose the catalysts. After all we will have to wear them for years. As I paid, I have priority, then Blaise, since he provided them, then Theo since he had the idea to buy them on the black market, said Draco, sure of his right.

What the others refuted and soon the four children were bickering, each wanting to choose the first one. Alexander was watching them with an already tired eye. He gave them five minutes and when he realized that they would not agree anyway, he chose to intervene.

- Enough ! Since you are unable to behave with maturity, I will choose who takes what catalyst.

None had the idea of ??contradicting him. Alexander stepped forward and observed the four objects. He almost hit his head against the canopy when he realized that they should not even have seen the jewels. One of them was very feminine and could only fit Hermione: a silver ring, surmounted by a diamond of an impressive size while remaining in good taste.

- Hermione, I think this ring will suit you perfectly. He said grabbing her and introducing her friend.

She watched him for a moment before nodding.

There remained the other three: two medallions and a ring. The first was a dragon with diamond-set eyes, it would be perfect for Draco, the second was simpler, in the form of a Celtic cross, embellished in its heart with a moonstone. The ring was of white gold, simple and masculine. Unlike other catalysts, no stone adorned it, which somewhat astonished Alexander. He watched her more closely and noticed the fine arabesques around him. In the light of the moon, they shone with a thousand lights. Hesitant for a few moments, he decided that the ring should be better suited to Blaise and the cross to Theo. He did not know where this intuition came from, but once she invaded him, he could not change his mind.

He handed everyone their artefact and all seemed contented by his choice.

From his wand Alexander touched each of the catalysts, thinking firmly of the desired duration, seven years. A dark gleam escaped his wand and circled the artifacts one by one. Until now, everything seemed to work perfectly. Remained the most difficult: carry these catalysts. All feared suffering. The tension rose in the room. The faces of the children closed.

- What if we made fun of us? What if these objects attacked our magic? If there is a problem, what will we do? Hermione asked, on the brink of the fit of apoplexy.

His questions remained unanswered. Everyone was aware that they were taking a big risk, but it was too late to back down ...

- Together ? Draco suggested.

They nodded, in spite of their hesitations, and slipped on their catalyst.

As for Alexander, the pain took a few moments to appear, then the dormitory was cries and tears.